Renaming a computer...

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Renaming a computer...

Post by The Pager Geek »

What am I missing?

I can change the name in the "my computer" but when I try to apply it kicks back "User already exists." I know it exists. I want it to exist.

History:
Changing a workstation computer out on an a Server 2003 system, the old computer is no longer on the system. (Out with the old, in with the new type thing) Using XP Pro SP2

Is there a way to just force the name without affilliating?

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
alex
Administrator

Re: Renaming a computer...

Post by alex »

The Pager Geek wrote:What am I missing?

I can change the name in the "my computer" but when I try to apply it kicks back "User already exists." I know it exists. I want it to exist.

History:
Changing a workstation computer out on an a Server 2003 system, the old computer is no longer on the system. (Out with the old, in with the new type thing) Using XP Pro SP2

Is there a way to just force the name without affilliating?

tpg
If you are running a server type solution that is using active directory, you must delete the old computer from the active directory tree, and then you may rename the new one and re-add it.

-Alex
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

There's no other way to do it? No fun regedit I can do?

DAMNIT!

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

The problem is that the system is keyed using a unique id, that is like a signature in the AD tree.

If your worried about group policy or other objects, you should have a separate OU with that specs, and then place the computer in that container in order for it to hold what it needs to.

Or, You can create an OU with a specific group policy, and then place the users in there that would authenticate to the domain, and be done with it.

I don't know off hand how to change the signatures of systems in there, but I know well enough you can't simply just rename, and then add the system to the domain - because the stuff doesn't match.

-Alex

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”