Saber I problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

VFN137
What radios do you own?: All but one

Saber I problem

Post by VFN137 »

I recently purchased a Saber I (used) as well as a new battery. After fully charging the nicad battery on my Saber rapid charger, I noticed the battery only lasted approx 5 hrs with minimal transmits.

I returned the aftermarket battery and recieved a new Moto nicad and experienced the the same thing. Only this time I noticed the front, side and rear of the radio on the antenna side got quite warm. However the battery stayed cool. I also have a SS Type III and don't have this problem. With either battery.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
phrawg

Post by phrawg »

Sounds like you almost assuredly have a pad PA module.
That happens when a device in it get "leaky" and draws
current even when there is no drive. It is not repairable.
just drop a new pa module in it and go on. Phrawg
BBbzzzzz... ZAP.. GULP !!! ahhhh GOOD fly !
VFN137

Post by VFN137 »

Thanks!
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Another thing to watch for, is excessive heat generated with the radio in receive/standby mode, that's an almost dead ringer for a shorted PA module as they will self oscillate and take down a good battery in no time.

The junctions inside the module fuse and the PA draws current until it fails.

Self oscillation/ecitation is a problem with these PA's when they are failing, but not always.

If the PA is not going and holds steady output with normal heat generated, then you may also be suffering from the factory defaulted low battery indicator, which on most Sabers is usually set to 158, and this will cause the low battery indicator to trip and halt further transmissions.

It's not the fix-all-to-end-all, but it does help when the level is lowered to a more reasonable numeric value.

Check the current draw of the radio on receive, it should be low, and UNDER .5 Amp.

Also, check your output level, as you should never run the PA at its maximum level...it draws far more current, depletes the batteru faster and provides NO gain on range.

I had all mine set in the low to mid 70's range....never any trouble, even after almost 15 years on one Saber, I have NEVER had to replace a PA module due to failure caused by heat.
VFN137

Post by VFN137 »

Thanks! I'll check the levels.
oh2glg
What radios do you own?: DP4801 DM4601 SL7550 MTP850S

Post by oh2glg »

AEC wrote:..factory defaulted low battery indicator, which on most Sabers is usually set to 158, and this will cause the low battery indicator to trip and halt further transmissions.
I think this has been discussed before on this board as well, but I couldn't find it quickly.

What is more recommended value here? If I recall correctly, there's two values, both RX and TX. Default for both is 158.
VFN137

Post by VFN137 »

Thanks again everyone for the info. I think i've narrowed it down to the PA. I have no problem with the low battery indicator. With the excessive heat and others input, I am leaning towards replacing the PA.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”