The Smart Police Car?

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wkr518

The Smart Police Car?

Post by wkr518 »

http://www.54ward.com/index.html
Looks interesting.Anyone had a chance to play with this system yet?
Wayne
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Guess I'll look at Booth # 983 in Orlando.
Anyone else going to APCO?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Looks like a commerical verison of the Project54 stuff. Many vehicles in New Hampshire have been outfitted with this system. It started off as a college project and has grown from there.

http://www.project54.unh.edu/
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

played with the actual project car from whelen / unh approx a year and a half ago... very interesting.

They were still working on the active fire suppression system that was supposed to prevent "state trooper roasted fanny syndrome"
Adam

Post by Adam »

That video is pretty old actually.. but that stuff is neat. I just think it's still going to be a long time before stuff like that is mainstream.
54ward

Just a quick Note

Post by 54ward »

I was taking a look at our stats for our site the other day and found many hits from here at Batlabs.. So I felt I should join up here and offer my help if needed.

I will be happy to answer any 54ward related questions people here might have.

Our site basically explains the system and layout. It is based on the P54 platform with many additonal items to make the fleet wide implementation much easier for the customer.

The other item we offer is full support for systems that might not be integrated as of yet into the system. We have a full service and training plan in place for customers and also can do any custom work needed to implement the system into the fleets.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have about the system.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

[ retracted ]
Last edited by thebigphish on Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
54ward

Post by 54ward »

Well if you feel us as the manufacturer for this product offering to help with questions and to also actually take the time to join the board spam that is fine.

I can tell you it is very rare for manufacturers to become involved in boards such as this and I simply offered the opertunity to those interested to feel free to ask questions.

If you or anyone here has any feel free to contact me at:

service@54ward.com or use our site

I also know that one person does not speak for all - so unless an admin has an issue with it I am not concerned and by no means was it intended as spam.
RTFireguy

Post by RTFireguy »

Its funny. Someone posts about this guys business and when he signs up here to talk about it and give some more info and help he gets some jerk up his rear.

54Ward, Glad to see a company taking the time to help inform those of us out here.
firemed9
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Kenwood, Icom

Post by firemed9 »

54Ward, Thank you for coming here to offer your assistance. We look forward to talking with you.
Higgy
Lieutenant, FF/EMT-Paramedic
Protective Services Officer

"Train as if your life depends on it, because it does."

No Trespassing. Violators will be shot. Survivors will be shot again
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yup, 54ward did it right. He's offering to help, while clearly making his company affiliations known.

Spamming the board would've been showing up here and promoting his product without saying he's a company rep.

Hey phish? Get bent.
54ward

Post by 54ward »

Thanks...

I been to enough boards to know that one person never makes a board...

I really have nothign else to post about - I will let the product and users speak for its efectiveness.

But if people have tech issues - or radio compatibility questions - feel free to email them to us and wwe can get them answered for you.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Cool. Want to donate a system to a volunteer FF in exchange for free advertising? Already got a computer on board, about a dozen radios to control, plenty of blinkenlights. 8) :lol:
54ward

Post by 54ward »

Advertising where?

Just to let you and everyone know - the system is truly intended fleets of 10 cars or more as the initial startup costs are more easily spread across a fleet of cars - thou this mainly pertains to CAD implementation and the more custom per detartment aspects of the system..

The real question is do you think there is a call for a single user system version for a lower cost? For the tinkerer? or really into it volunteer or small department...
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Actually, I expect your system probably wouldn't scale up as large as my vehicle. How many people do you know with a 30" Havis console in their POV, completely full? Only 8 inches of that is consumed with non-radio gear (Cencom, aux switch panel, and a display unit).

However, yes, I think you might find a market for a single-user version. Many smaller departments don't have CAD, thus no integration to worry about there. Also, with in-car computers becoming more popular, the fold-out screens in the dash, and the desire of many vollies to have a low-profiles install, I could see a market there as well.

If you could make the software somewhat customizable by the end user, you could make it into an off-the-shelf product and eliminate your people having to deal with individual users.

Unfortunately, looking at the hardware you're building, you'd have to do some work to get the cost down to the "reasonable" range.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

I am always game to try new things. 54ward you should contact me, if this can control several lights, two astro spectra radios, a kustom signal vhs video system and so forth it would be nice to toy with.

Jason
DakotasKustoms

Post by DakotasKustoms »

54ward - great to have you join the board. I have been pushing the chief to look into the product myself...

ADMINS* If you want this to be a new topic, feel free to do so. I wasnt real sure the best way to handle this...was not trying to hijack the thread by any means.

But to go in hand with the "personal use" ... because of the cost of the "project 54" ... my company he developed a version as well... Called Digital CP (Digital Command Post).

Basic Command Function: Information Acquisition

Without accurate information, emergency responders can’t make informed decisions.

Through a simple intuitive computer interface responders can rapidly monitor, control or access critical information resources
Uses include:
-CAD Systems
-Remote Cameras
-Emergency Lights
-Pre-Plans
-Vehicle Electrical Systems
-Internet/Intranet
-GPS/GIS
-Personnel Accountability
-Vehicle Mounted Cameras
-Electronic Incident Reporting

You can control up to 8 lights ... setup custom buttons (load balancer/Emergency Button/All On/Traffic stop/etc.. And Digital CP ties into YOUR programs you are already using..mapping, cad..etc. No more START->Programs->MAPPING, then when you need the CAD Software, START->Programs->CAD ... with one button you can switch between programs with ease.

At this time there is no support for radios, or voice control, as this was developed for the home user who likes to have one more toy that the rest.

I will try an put together a video demo here in the next few weeks.

54ward - I would however like to talk with you in reference to this project ... Dakota@Dakotaskustoms.com - THX!
-Dakota
-DakotasKustoms.com
54ward

Post by 54ward »

Feel free to contact us at: sales@54ward.com

Happy to help if we can.
54ward

Post by 54ward »

Just a quick update here..

We have finalized our product line and are ready for departments to apply for demos....Our network is Nationwide and now International also so please feel free to ask any questions about the product you might have.

If you department is interested or you have questions please contact us:

http://54ward.com/contact.html
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

54ward wrote:Just a quick update here..

We have finalized our product line and are ready for departments to apply for demos....Our network is Nationwide and now International also so please feel free to ask any questions about the product you might have.

If you department is interested or you have questions please contact us:

http://54ward.com/contact.html
See you today at the Long Island MegaShow for Fire/EMS.
Wayne
54ward

We will be there and at the following shows:

Post by 54ward »

Rescue and EMS Mega Show Uniondale, NY Jan
1/27-1/28

IWCE International Wireless Communications Expo Las Vegas, NV March
3/28-3/30

FDIC Indianapolis, IN April
4/19-4/21

Police Security Expo Atlantic City, NJ June
6/19 - 6/20