Golf Cart Lightbar (lol)

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

losangelescop

Golf Cart Lightbar (lol)

Post by losangelescop »

One of my friends works security at a football club, and they have a couple golf carts to get from point A to point B. He wanted to deck one out with a second hand amber lightbar (44 inch) something simple like a Jetsonic or an LP6000. I told him using dash lights or a mini lightbar would be easier and cheaper, but he is commited to a full length lightbar (LOL!) Well at least I suppose it would look pretty cool, if done correctly. I have seen dash lights and mini lightbars used on golf carts in the past for police, security and EMS operations, but never a full length 44 or 48 inch bar (as it stands, a 44 inch lightbar will just fit, being only 3 inches wider than the plastic roof). With a weird project like this, he needs all the help he can get before making a decision, so I came on here for some "lightbar on golf cart" help :P

My questions are: 1) Has anyone ever mounted a 44 or 48 inch bar on a golf cart, and do you have any pics (pref. a halogen rotator bar)?

2) How easy was it to do, did it end up looking any good, and did it do the job well?

Note: Because the golf carts he is running uses something like 36 or 48 volts over 6 car style batteries to power it, he has an aux 12 volt battery set up to power some current accessories like headlights etc, so we will be using that battery to connect any amber lights, whether they are turn out to be in bar form, mini-bar form, dash form or otherwise.

Thanks to all for the help on the weird situation :P 8) :lol:
Motorola, Federal Signal and the MX7000 RULE!
60A
What radios do you own?: XTS5000, XPR7550, APX6000

Post by 60A »

Wow, I'm not sure even an extra battery would power a full size rotator light bar for long. They require a good amount of power. Plus, I don't know what kind of golf cart you guys have... but the ones I have seen the roof would never support that kind of weight, or at the very least you're going to make it some kind of crazy tipping hazard. I'm sure cost is an issue... but you probably could get away with an led lightbar easier. Less power draw, and less weight.

Just my two cents... but what do I know? :lol:
MK4412

Post by MK4412 »

Sho(Blo)-Me makesa decent led-strobe mini-bar now. Chief at work has one, and it's nasty. Front, rear, and side LED panels with 2 strobe heads in the center. 2 V mirrors direct the strobe front and rear from behind the side LED heads.

http://www.able2products.com/Update/11_1230.htm

A multitude of color combos is available.
Mike
losangelescop

Post by losangelescop »

Thanks for your input guys.

Further help, hints, pics or ideas from anyone is welcome and appreciated.

Thanks... :D
Pimpala03
What radios do you own?: M1225, HT100, P1225, etc

Post by Pimpala03 »

I agree with 60A. Go with LEDs. Power draw is going to be important on a ride like that.
In God we trust. Everyone else, we run through NCIC, Thinkstream, and III.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

You could always check E-lightbriars, I am sure one of those guys have done something like that.

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by Grog »

spectragod wrote:You could always check E-lightbriars, I am sure one of those guys have done something like that.
How about you check for him.....oh.....nevermind, I see you'r one of the lucky ones. You are free from wacker-land :D
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

Maybe a Whelen LFL LED mini bar? Maybe 2Amp draw at .5 Amp per LED head.Or a depopulated Liberty full 50 inch LED bar.

Going to be doing a Gator 6 wheeler with a mini Liberty.

Have seen mini forklifts,Zamboni ice machine and a Gator with lightbars on them but not a golf cart yet.
If it happends share pictures with us.
Good luck
Wayne
losangelescop

Post by losangelescop »

Wayne,

Thanks for the input, if it happens i will definately share pics.

Further ideas from anyone are still welcome. I doubt he will want to go with LED however because of the high cost, most likely a used rotating beacon, mini or full length bar will do, and will be a lot less cheaper, although I will tell him about the downsides that were mentioned above such as the weight and the current/battery power drawn out from a halogen set up.

Thanks ppl 8)
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Amber rotating beacons can be had from Super Cheap Auto fairly cheaply, but they're actually fairly heavy. They will put a nice dip in a plastic golf cart roof.

At the Sydney Olympics, the police golf carts used in pedestrian areas had a single blue strobe beacon on the roof, very similar to the ones you can buy from Dick Smith or Jaycar for security systems. That's a cheap, low powered, and more than effective enough way to do it.
irsa

Post by irsa »

How about a Narva Optimax lightbar? Being Narva they aren't badly priced. Or maybe those Hella minibars. I personally lean towards the Britax/Code3 420 minibar. Had one on my VW Assist van and it was very bright.
High_order1

Post by High_order1 »

Here is what I would do:

Obviously, your buddy has access to a cheap full-sized lightbar, or just *has* to have one.

I can understand that completely.

Have him whack a few inches out of the center of the speaker grille, or trim up the center dome, and then cut a couple of inches off of the end of the bar base.

It doesn't matter what bar he picks, but if it hangs over, it will be nearly impossible to install, and more importantly, it will look like Sh1t.

Here is the trick: Pull all those high amp rotators and flashers out of the bar. Replace them with low draw lights. You can buy LED lamps in many colors from a truck stop. Get a few used dash strobes, and put them up there. Many car places (google APC, for instance) have small, not-so-bright strobes, and very bright LED's for show cars.

But, you don't need a high power system for a non-road vehicle, so they may be just the ticket.

Instead of halogen for the alley lamps, get one of those LED backup bulbs, and use them.

MUCH lower draw, and you can still get decent lighting. Plus, its' lighter.

Finally, you got to have a siren. A real one will deafen your buddy, so google JC Whitney. They have a very cheap one. Even has PA, but at 20 watts, you won't ring his ears everytime he blips it.

I like little projects like this. It's fun building one-off items.

-Shawn
Double_Deuz

Post by Double_Deuz »

I have put 4 strobes and a siren system on a Kawaski Mule. The only concern I had was would the draw kill the battery. Check with manufacture of the Cart to find what an acceptable draw would be. [/img]

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”