SS2000 Pursuit switch functionality

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

rolncode3

SS2000 Pursuit switch functionality

Post by rolncode3 »

Did a search, didn't find my answer.

I have a SPST momentary switch that I was going to wire to the pursuit switch. I realized, though, that the siren is configured to be independent of the slide switch. So, going from 3 to 2, or 3 to 0 wouldn't matter because the siren would keep going.

Is this flawed thinking and the unit operates in some way I hadn't thought?

Second possibility is the same SPST momentary switch wired to emulate the park circuit (since I have no idea where the park wires are, and I'm not a master electrician). Could a momentary emulate the park function, or does it need to be a push on/push off that keeps the wire grounded? Installation and configuration manuals don't say one way or other.

This is all in a 2006 Chevy Trailblazer (yes they suck, but I have no choice).
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

what is the SPST for?
rolncode3

Post by rolncode3 »

Sorry, took it for granted that people would know.

SPST = Single Pole, Single Throw.
The simplest switch there is. Push switch, closes circuit. One in, one out.

Like I said, I'm no master electrician or anything. Just learning about relays and how they work (such as using one to fire 4 takedown lights from a 10amp relay on the SS2000).
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

not like that, i know full well what the SPST for, as well as a DPST/DPDT and all the various iterations are for....
let me rephrase it.

WHY are you using one, if you have a ss2000, why do you need an additional SPST?

(and notice how i said) what is the SPST for?
not what does SPST stand for? :-) it's all good.
rolncode3

Post by rolncode3 »

D'oh. Got it now.

I was going to mount the switch in the middle of the dashboard so it's easy to hit as you're bailing out of the vehicle.

The reason I was using the switch is because the SS2000 says that you momentarily ground one of the pins and it goes from 3 to 2 or 3 to 0. I assumed that they're often setup with a simple SPST switch conveniently mounted for the officers to hit. I guess Key11 could be setup to do the same thing (I think), but that would be harder to do than a simple pushbutton you mash in the middle of the dashboard.

I don't mind using the park-kill but I don't know about digging into the wiring for the vehicle. I know I can hook up the switch to a ground.

Does that explain it better?
EVModules
was EVConcepts

Post by EVModules »

It's programmable. Never used that function anyhow.

I'd use the park kill circuitry. What year, make, model is your vehicle?
Sean Barr
EVConcepts
rolncode3

Post by rolncode3 »

2006 Chevy Trailblazer.

I know the park-kill is programmable, just gotta' know where to tap into the wiring. If someone knows, I got no problem doing it...but I haven't done the research to find out where to do it.
EVModules
was EVConcepts

Post by EVModules »

Try the starter wire and see what it does when the tranny is shifted thru the stages. Doesn't need to be running but key does need to be in to unlock the tranny.

Another place is actually AT the tranny itself.
Sean Barr
EVConcepts
rolncode3

Post by rolncode3 »

OK. I'll work on it tomorrow, see what shakes.

I was considering looking at the tranny itself.

Why do you think the starter wire might work? (curiosity)
EVModules
was EVConcepts

Post by EVModules »

rolncode3 wrote:OK. I'll work on it tomorrow, see what shakes.

I was considering looking at the tranny itself.

Why do you think the starter wire might work? (curiosity)
In some vehicles when the gear is in park or netural, there is a ground path which allows the starter current from the key switch to flow to ground thru a relay. The other side of the coil is connected to the tranny selector switch.

So if the tranny's in gear, the ground goes away and when the key's turned to start the engine, the starter relay can't energize.

With any setup that you find, it's best to use a relay to isolate the circuits. On SOME vehicles, that circuit is deemed too sensitive and connected to the BCM. In this case, a Fed Sig UPKM-3 is necessary.

If it's difficult as it is for some oddball cars, we just get creative and install a lever switch, long arm types. I install these wherever I find some mechanical position when it's in Park which you only care for anyway.

I believe the trailblazer's starter relay is in the engine compartment. Look in the owner's manual and locate that to zero in. One thing thou, some vehicles actually REVERSE polarity when the key is in the off position! We ended up making a module for these types. All Chevy pick-up trucks, tahoe's, suburban's and the like have this setup.
Sean Barr
EVConcepts

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”