Prob with programing through Dos

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RRFD72

Prob with programing through Dos

Post by RRFD72 »

I have a IBM thinkpad running windows 98. I have no probs programing though windows for CPS and 1225. When I go in dos to use the mrss no matter what program I use the software won't perform a com port check and freezes the program. I have tried changing com ports and it freezes the progam everytime.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Tim
KC2PUD

"Years ago, people took LSD to make the world seem weird. Now that the world is weird, people take Prozac to make it seem normal."
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Trying to run DOS RSS...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

If you do a search you will find literally hundreds of references
on this Board to this subject.

You MUST boot a DOS RSS in true DOS, and not the version
that runs under Windows. The com port will not operate
correctly, which is the exact problem you're having.

CPS is a GUI program so you're not having a problem with it,
but the DOS RSS is a different animal completely.

The ideal DOS version you need is 6.22 and it can be
downloaded from several sources. Again, check the Board
references for sources. Here is one that might work for you:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... ht=dos+rss
Last edited by Tom in D.C. on Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

In addition to needing a true DOS, some older versions of RSS do not like to run on anything faster that 25MHz 486. The later versions are more tolerant of a faster processor like early Pentiums.
emsbuff3240
What radios do you own?: Centracom Gold Elite, XTS5K 4K

Post by emsbuff3240 »

I had the same problem as you.

You must set the archive...... in computer config to a path it can find, its default is on the C drive, if you are using drive A you must specify drive a or the program will freeze up like you said.

i am in HT1000 RSS
-Jon
RRFD72

Post by RRFD72 »

Thanks for the info :D

Tim
KC2PUD

"Years ago, people took LSD to make the world seem weird. Now that the world is weird, people take Prozac to make it seem normal."
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

What model is the Thinkpad? Some of those need a "configuration utility" to set up the com port for DOS. My understanding is, that it takes the place, basically of other machines BIOS settings.

Also, if your machine is old enough that IBM (now Lenovo) has dropped online support, visit this site, which I see is back up

http://greyghost.dyndns.org/pccbbs/mobiles/

Read the 00index.txt at the top, which will index the files, and you can use your browser search function to find your model.
RRFD72

Post by RRFD72 »

Its a thinkpad 380ED

Thanks for the link.
KC2PUD

motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

While running in Windows:

1. Browse to the Windows file folder.
2. Look for an icon called "MS-DOS Mode for Games with EMS & XMS Support.
3. Right click the icon, then left-click "Send To: Desktop (Create Shortcut)
4. Click the icon on your desktop anytime you need to run DOS RSS. It'll prompt you to warn you that you're re-booting into DOS, blah, blah.. just click OK and you're good.

If this doesn't work:

1. Create a Windows 98 startup floppy disk.
2. Boot the computer from the floppy.
3. After booting is complete and you get a DOS command prompt, browse over to wherever your RSS is stored and try running it. DO NOT EJECT THE FLOPPY.

I have an IBM Thinkpad T23 that initially had Windows 98 on it, and I couldn't get it to talk to radios to save my life, until I tried Option #2. There's something about Win98 DOS that those computers don't like when it comes to RSS serial port communication. I eventually dumped Win98 from it and reconfigured it to dual-boot into either DOS 6.22 or XP Pro, and now everything is good. It'll even run Saber RSS.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”