DOS help

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Terriers618
was Jason618
What radios do you own?: Motorola Syntor X9000.....

DOS help

Post by Terriers618 »

Okay, the only way to get my HT1000 programming software to work properly was to make a DOS boot disk in the format options on my XP machine and make a second disk with the HT1000 software on it

I boot the disk in another machine, then put in the HT1000 software. WORKS GREAT!!! Except this, after saving my archives for different radios I then put the disk back in my windows XP machine and I cannot see the saved files, they are not there. Put the disk back in the dos booted machine and they are visible.

Is it a file system compatability issue? Is there some kind of fix so that I can just program the HT1000's off my XP machine instead of using this DOS bootup situation?
Grog
On Moderation

Post by Grog »

Using an XP machine to program a HT1000 is not advised.....
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

DOS on an XP machine...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

...won't work, period. XP has no compatability with
DOS or DOS-type files. More info can probably be
found with a search of various terms on this site.

My info comes from what I have read here previously.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Terriers618
was Jason618

Post by Terriers618 »

I am not programming the radio in dos under XP os, I am booting the maching from a DOS floppy, editing the codeplug, saving it on the disk and then rebooting back to XP and I want to copy the file to my hard drive to back it up.

However, any saved codeplugs do not show up in XP either in the RSS or in the folder browser. I wonder if its a compatability issue between DOS and XP however from what I understand all file formats are supposed to be backwards/forwards compatable

Ill do another search on here!
bnn121

Post by bnn121 »

Just out of curiosity...when you navigate within Windows XP to

Tools>Folder Options>View Tab

What boxes are checked or unchecked?

In the picture below is how I have mine set.

File Types from the DOS days were limited to 8 characters...its very possible that you are not seeing the files...because you don’t have that feature enabled.

Now, if you do have your folder option setting just like mine...then it could be that your disk is formatted fat16 or below in which Windows XP will never see them...no mater what you do.

Terriers618
was Jason618

Post by Terriers618 »

the disk is formated to fat32, im saving new files while in dos that are not visible in XP, does DOS save in fat16???

Instead i have a codeplug i have in XP that i loaded to the disk, i edit that codeplug and then back it up on my machine here seems to work okay. any newly created codeplugs dont show in XP though.
n7jei

Post by n7jei »

Just a thought (this happened to me). Are the code plug files actually stored on the DOS machine hard drive and not on the RSS floppy?
David Hall, N7JEI
Los Lunas, NM
Terriers618
was Jason618

Post by Terriers618 »

nope I am saving them on A:

i know this because they appear when the disk is viewed in the machine booted in dos but the files dont appear in the machine booted in xp.

Anyways I ended up getting a codeplug elsewhere and setting it up on the disk in xp, then i modify it while in dos and all the data stays when moved back to XP so i can back it up

thanks guys
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

Use a FAT(16) disc, not a fat32 one and try it again....

format the disc in DOS (on a dos computer) and then do the same...it wouldn't be the first time windows has screwed the pooch and made data inaccessible.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”