SDRAM slot problem? (suspected RAM problem)

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

dxon2m

SDRAM slot problem? (suspected RAM problem)

Post by dxon2m »

I have a old motherboard sitting around for few years already that I believe has a bad RAM slot. When using this mobo, the computer will power up, beep once, than just hangs there with no display or anything. I tried changing video card, hard drive and the RAM but with no luck. I saw a few sites on the web that seems to point to the problem towards the RAM slot.

Now my question is, how do I know if the RAM slot is good or bad? Does anyone have a pinout of the 168 pin SDRAM slot? How do I check if I get good voltage or not?

Thanks
dennis
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Re: SDRAM slot problem? (suspected RAM problem)

Post by thebigphish »

for the time invested it will take to troubleshoot the RAM slot on an older mobo, i would say it would just be easier to just purchase a replacement on fleabay or find an equivalent to replace it. If it is not a proprietary piece on a specific system, you should be able to find a replacement for it. That sounds like it might be a little more of a reliable fix than workin on an antique mobo. If you have a bad SDRAM slot now, pretty soon those caps will start to be suspect...etc...

And i can only figure it would be MISERABLE to diagnose a SDRAM slot by checking voltages, as it's not like the RAM is constant voltage across all the pin headers as they are mostly bi-directional, pulsed data bursts, and you have NO idea what would be normal where...and how..

IIWY, i'd buy a new mobo.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

For most BIOS's, one beep means "all normal". RAM errors are usually indicated by 5 long beeps, if memory serves. Do a web search for "BIOS error beeps".
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
dxon2m

Post by dxon2m »

Thanks for the inputs. It's not that I don't have spare computers at home. This is one of my antique mobos and I just wanna find something to mess with in spare time. 8)

I'll try to dig up the motherboard manual and see what it has to say.

Thanks
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

kf4sqb wrote:For most BIOS's, one beep means "all normal". RAM errors are usually indicated by 5 long beeps, if memory serves. Do a web search for "BIOS error beeps".
Anymore the "beeps" on POST are vendor specific, and sometimes model specific. It all depends on the MoBo that you have. I have an ASUS at home that doesn't beep at all unless something is busted. Best bet is to google your MoBo and get a manual for it. There are all sorts of hardware diagnostic stuff that you can get when it does something at POST.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”