Thinkpad UltraBay Slim Parallel/Serial Adapter

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Thinkpad UltraBay Slim Parallel/Serial Adapter

Post by JAYMZ »

Has anyone else tried one of these out on their systems at all? I tried looking for help on this at the Thinkpads.com forums but the blockheads over there don't get it when I tell them that I want a native serial port. "Why can't you just use USB>Serial adapter?" Because if that would work I would have bloody well bought one now wouldn't I!!

I have a T61 7662 and received one of these Ultrabay adapters so I can have a native serial port on my machine and not need to keep a second laptop around for a serial port.

Installed the part as recommended in the manual enable the serial port in the BIOS, fire up the machine and Windows tells me that it cannot start the device, but yet the parallel port is started and runs perfectly. I called Lenovo support (After the basic troubleshooting tasks- Rollback drivers, uninstall/reinstall, check conflicts, etc) who sent me a second one of these and I am still having the same problem. Anyone have any suggestions? My machine info is below.

Machine Type: 7662-CTO
FRU P/N: 40Y8124
BIOS: 7LETA7WW (2.07) 12/6/07
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”