ACC Circuit Tie In

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

lunzac
What radios do you own?: HT1250, XPR6550, XPR7550

ACC Circuit Tie In

Post by lunzac »

hi
just wanted to get opinions on the best way to tie into the accessory circuit for relay control for a radio. In the past i have gotten behind the cd player and spliced into the cd players power wire. I am trying to see if there is an easier/ better way. I have heard of going through the fuse block using an ATC "fuse" that has a wire running off of it and then accepts a regular fuse on top of it. Could i get some opinions on using those and also if positive opinion, a website i can get them from.

thanks

-zach
Batwings21

Re: ACC Circuit Tie In

Post by Batwings21 »

They are made by littelfuse, and are the best way to tap into a fuse panel.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdet ... er=071-580

Never ordered from here, but it has a nice picture of it.
techtonics

Post by techtonics »

yea those fuse holders are nice but when you are dealing with tight areas we order these from tessco
http://www.tessco.com/products/displayP ... ventPage=1
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

I've used plenty of the TAPA-Fuse or TAPA-Circuit products. They make them for both the regular and mini-fuses. I always pull the stereo fuse and use that along with the tapa device to run relay's or the ignition sense on the radios. Biggest benefit is that you just plug it in, next is that the radios and other added equipment follow the ignition nicely, on when on, off while cranking, and back on when running.

I have pictures of the one installed in my mobile on my website, http://www.kb0nly.net just look at the kb0nly mobile page. I have one and a relay to install in the wife's mobile, the kc0uya mobile page shows that as it is so far. Need some more nice weather to get back to it.

The fuses with the pigtails are ok too, but the only bad thing is if you blow the fuse you have to chop the wire and replace. Though i guess you could also use a pair, male and female, of insulated 1/4" QD connectors, or even the bullet shaped connectors, to make it easier to replace later. Then you could just make up the spares with the same connector and toss them in the glove box for when you need them.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”