Programming XTL5000

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nicko78
New User

Programming XTL5000

Post by nicko78 »

Hello everybody
I'm french and I want to program an XTL5000 ASTRO 25 by the rear accessory connector (J2), because i don't want to program this by the Microphe jack connector.
I don't have the datasheet for this cable (26 pins -> db9).
Which wires must be connected on both connectors?
Is there any people to help me?

Thancks
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Re: Programming XTL5000

Post by spectragod »

You have to program that radio via the mic connector.... PERIOD.

SG
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by RKG »

Not correct: all XTL 2500 and 5000 mobiles can alternatively be programmed from the accessory connector, using what M catalogs as a "data cable" for the radio (costs about $65 versus $200 something for the mike connector programming cable), and some XTLs (e.g., Consolettes) can only be programmed via the rear connector.

I don't have my books handy, so I can't give the part number for the cable. I believe (but I'm not sure) that a pin-out for the connector (but not for the cable) is in the XTL install book. Given the cost of the cable, I'd use a Motorola OEM, which comes in either serial or USB versions (I use only the serial).
xmo

Post by xmo »

HKN6160A
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

I stand corrected, good luck making that work.

SG
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by akardam »

I have a friend who does it that way... he's experienced intermittent failure. We haven't been able to nail it down yet.

If it's an O series, do yourself a favor and order the GCAI USB programming cable - HKN6184, less than $50 list. Fast as hell, too.
RKG

Post by RKG »

I'd be interested in knowing what the issue is.

The first XTL I did had a W-7 control head, and it programmed via the mike connector just fine.

The next bunch were W-7s or W-5s that had been converted to O-5s, and they wouldn't program from the mike connector at all. I later learned that this was probably related to a glitch in the control head conversion: Motorola had sent out some firmware upgrades that had a defect. Anyhow, when those radios wouldn't program from the control head, I hooked up the "data" cable and they programmed just fine from the rear connector (at least for channel issues).

The next couple I had to do were 800 XTL5000s with A-7 control heads contained in Astro Consolettes. These would not program from the mike connector, and we later figured out that the intercession of the AIB/TRC board between the decks and the heads probably was the reason. Again, they programmed just fine via the rear connector. (Note: the Consolette book did not address the issue directly, but it did call out the "data" cable p/n specifically for programming, without mentioning any mike connector option.) The problem with Consolettes is that getting access to the rear connector is a lot of work, particularly if the radios have been installed in console furniture. So what we did was to acquire two more "data" cables, mill slots in the consolette housing to pass them out the rear, and leave them permanently installed on the radios and drooping down to an access door on the console. They have programmed just fine ever since.

The last bunch I did were O-5 XTL2500s, rear mounts going in cruisers. These radios had come from the factory with the O- heads. If the radios had already been installed in the vehicles, I probably would have tried to use my O- cable to the mike connector just to avoid having to go into the trunks, but they were on the bench so I used the "data" cable and rear connector just to avoid any deck/head issues. All programmed just fine and are now in service.

I have yet to find any Motorola literature that addresses these issues directly; my advice is based on the foregoing experience.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

I have programmed well over 100 2500's and 5000's, with the W head and the -O- head, all through the mic jack, never had a problem.

But I guess I could go ahead and dis-assemble the unit, and, solder my connections on inside, and program it that way as well :lol: , but I prefer to eliminate any chances of getting the data corrupted, hence my saying to use the mic connector.

If the rear connector programming is working for you, then that is great, especially for the units in the console. But, the way I read the OP, is that he is planning on making his own cable, as opposed to purchasing anything, probably not the best solution with these radio's, as M equipment tends to get corrupted rather easily.

Factory programming cables are cheaper than a trip to Mexirola's Depot facility.

SG

Post by nicko78 »

Hello ,
Thank you for your answers.
I 've found the cable HKN6160A, but only in America. My superior doesn't want to buy it. "money money money...."
Please, one of you can be testing the pinout on motorola 26Pins and the Db9 and tell me what are the pins that must be connected on 26 pins and Db9.
Thank in advance!
N
nicko78
New User

Post by nicko78 »

It's ok!
Thank Yan6
firestick
What radios do you own?: Astro Baby!!!!

Post by firestick »

What about a W3 head...can u only use the accessories connector (the small rectangular one)
Shaun Dennis

XTL5000 O5, XTS3000II, MTS2000 and an MCS2000.
Also a few GP339's and GP328's
unleashedff248
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, XTS5K & 3K, MCS2K

Post by unleashedff248 »

Hey guys,

I just got the XTL2500 USB cable for the mic connector. I tried to read a XTL2500 and I can't get it to work. It tries to communicate but I get a fail code. I have selected the correct port. When I connect the cable to the radio windows tries to install it, but I don't have a driver or anything. The XTL2500 is remote head also, could this be a problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
RKG

Post by RKG »

I believe there is a printed sheet that comes with the CD that specifies the order of installing the CPS, booting it, and plugging in the cable. Don't recall the details, but it had something to do with triggering the CPS (or the install routine, but I think it was the CPS) to install a USB driver.

I use the serial cables, so haven't encountered this problem.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

unleashedff248 wrote:When I connect the cable to the radio windows tries to install it, but I don't have a driver or anything.
The drivers are loaded during the CPS installation. When you first connect the radio via USB, you should get the hardware install wizard popping up to let you know it's installing the driver. If you didn't get this, then it won't work. You can try removing the CPS, rebooting, then reinstalling. After the install completes, reboot again. Then connect the radio via USB...the hardware install wizard should pop up. Tell it to search for the drivers automatically, and all should be ok.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
unleashedff248
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, XTS5K & 3K, MCS2K

Post by unleashedff248 »

Thanks for the advice! Got it work no problem. For some reason the driver got lost or disappeared since i installed the CPS the first time. Weird.

Thanks again.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

No problem, glad to hear you got it going.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
a1emt

Post by a1emt »

Can someone verify the /\/\ part number for the cable to program an XTL5000 with W5 control head via the front microphone connector. A lot of numbers have been posted on this thread, just want to order the correct one 8)

Thanks in advance,

Jim
skidmark
New User

Post by skidmark »

The part number on my cable is A3-HKN6183A
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

You need to get the program up and running. Then plug the interface cable into the computer. Then plug the
interface cable into the control head. You should hear a beep from the computer. If not, then it won't
communicate. Unplug from the radio, wait a few seconds and plug back into the control head. Again you should
hear the beep from the computer.

Jim

Return to “Radio Programming”