Need some help/advice

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wiredwrx
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Need some help/advice

Post by wiredwrx »

Hello,

I work with a volunteer ambulance corps, and we have been having radio issues for some time now, related to our radio system vendor. We are considering making the move to a TRBO system of our own, however, there are some issues that I would like to know if anyone has any solutions for.

First, the response area is divided into 2 distinct areas, seperated by a small mountain range. What the organization wants to do, using one frequency, is to simulcast both time slots. Is that currently possible? If not, is there anyway to link two repeaters together, in a multi site arraingments, with easy channel steering? The only other option is to install the repeater on the small mountain range, but we are worried about coverage nulls, and, the location just isn't as high as the other two available locations. Is it possible to have remote receivers, in some sort of voting system, with a centralized transmiter site?

The second issue is, the organization utlizes a single dispatcher that covers both areas. Is there anyway for the disptacher to monitor both time slots at the same time? I tend to think not, since the transmissions are occuring at the same time. The other choice we are considering is to use a single time slot, with 3 groups for dispatching purposes, and allowing the second timeslot as a talk around (through the repeater of course). The dispatcher can do an ALL call to all groups for dispatching purposes, or call an individual group. However, is there a way for the dispatcher to monitor the 3 individual groups at the same time, in case a unit using any of the groups calls the dispatcher.

Third, does anyone know if the dispatcher can have direct control over the transmitter? I know that NYPD has such a system. Even if a field unit is transmitting through the repeater, the dispatcher can key the transmiter, and the field unit, who continues to transmit, can be heard in the background through a speaker mounted at the dispatch location. I would like to make sure that if there is an open carrier, the dispatcher can still dispatch an emergency, even if he/she may not be able to hear field units.

Fourth, is it possible to transmit DTMF tones over the air in digital mode?

Last, are there any TRBO users in the Los Angeles area, who might want to provide a demo, real time. Also, anyone using the TRBOnet software. I have the trial software, but with out a radio and a system, I can't even check out the features. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Need some help/advice

Post by Tom in D.C. »

This thread might be of some interest to you:

http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... 71#p349071
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
wiredwrx

Post by wiredwrx »

thanks for the reply, I gues. But what does that thread have to do with any of my questions/issues/concerns/problems?

Michael
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

No you cannot simulcast the timeslots.

No you cannot link the repeaters (yet).

No you cannot monitor both timeslots, unless you have a second radio in dispatch.

No you cannot transmit DTMF on digital modes.

The only TRBO system in LA that I know of is an amateur repeater in the Hollywood Hills, and the American at Brand (new mall in Glendale)
wiredwrx

Post by wiredwrx »

escomm wrote:No you cannot simulcast the timeslots.

No you cannot link the repeaters (yet).

No you cannot monitor both timeslots, unless you have a second radio in dispatch.

No you cannot transmit DTMF on digital modes.

The only TRBO system in LA that I know of is an amateur repeater in the Hollywood Hills, and the American at Brand (new mall in Glendale)
Thanks for the answers to those questions.

What about monitoring all three groups, in a single time slot? What about direct control of the transmitter?

Thanks,
Michael

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”