MT 2000 RSS

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

retrowbridge
New User

MT 2000 RSS

Post by retrowbridge »

I have an MT 2000 I just bought off of ebay and apparently I didn't research this enough before doing so. I was looking at the owners guide and it says that RSS is available for the UHF/VHF model, but makes no mention of the 800mhz model. What does this mean, and then I see that the software for these discontinued radios has also been discontinued. Does this mean there is no way to get this software? Now last but not least; I saw on another post that you can't run RSS on a windows computer even in DOS mode. Is this true? Does this mean if I do find what I'm looking for in the way of software I then have to find a decades old computer? Who'd a thunk it would be so difficult? Okay, wait, one last question. How can I tell what Flash I have on the radio already? Somewhere I saw that varying versions are not compatible. Say I couldn't use old software on my computer to program a radio with newer??? Thanks in advance everybody.

Robert
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: MT 2000 RSS

Post by HLA »

an mt2000 can't have a flash, that's mts only. the rss for the mt2000 is dos only and is not made to run in a dos screen under windows.
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Working backwards on your questions, no, you usually can't program a radio with an
RSS that is older than the RSS now in the radio. I've heard that in a few cases it is
possible to do so but I've never encountered such a situation. And yes, you do have to
go out (if you can't find one at a ham or computer fest for $15.00) and buy a DOS-only
machine to RSS/DOS programming. In more recent times the CPS RSS has converted to
GUI but the old RSS/DOS continues to be used in a lot of radio lines. The DOS that runs
under Windows is not true DOS. You MAY be able to read your radio with it but when you
go to write the program to the radio watch out; you may have a real problem which, in
addition to not working, may mess up your radio so it has to go to the Motorola Depot for
an expensive "fix."

Regarding flashcodes, features, etc., on the older radios that don't have flashcodes there
are a variety of features and options which your radio may or not have. You find these out
by decoding the Factory ID number, which in the case of older portables usually runs like this:
H = portable
4 = high power (3 is low power; some radios use the number 2 for low)
3 = VHF (4 = UHF)
X = alpha character denoting specific feature, sucn as secure or no secure
X = ditto
X = ditto
4 digits = usually the same for all HTs in the line
X = alpha character, function varies
X = ditto

(The above is only an example, taken from the Saber radio line. Other radios' feature
coding may vary and there may be more characters and numbers in the lineup.)

In addition, the non-flashcode radios come with different internal fixed programs having to
do with internal electronics.

Oftentimes the Factory ID codes can be found at http://www.batlabs.com under Model Specific Information for your particular radio. If not there's always someone on this Board who will be glad to help you dig up more information.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
retrowbridge
New User

Post by retrowbridge »

What is the software I need for programming an MT2000 80 mhz? I know I have to get it from motorola, or more likely have the local dealer program it for me, but I'm just curious. Thanks everybody.

Robert
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

RVN4176N is the package you need, it includes MTSX RSS 6.08 (latest version of DOS RSS) which programs MT2000, MTX8000/9000/838/888.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

i thought it was included too but i think i read on here somewhere that it's not included anymore and i hear 6.08 is the newest but for some reason i've never got it in the mail, they're still sending me 6.07?
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
batsass1
New User

Post by batsass1 »

I've never got 6.08 either. Only people I know of who say they got 6.08 are 2 here at the board, and one warned not to use it because it was full of bugs. 6.07 is what is in general circulation with the Motorola dealers in this region.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

I got 6.08 with MTS2000 CPS R02.02...but IIRC it is only available on CD, it is NOT on MOL (though the CPS 2.02 is, go figure)
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.

Return to “Radio Programming”