VHF Spectra Fail 001 Question

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

davkenrem
What radios do you own?: STX, Spectra, Maxtrac, MTS2000

VHF Spectra Fail 001 Question

Post by davkenrem »

Hello all. I purchased a VHF Spectra on ebay a couple of weeks ago to use as a 2M rig at my house. The model no# is D43KMA7JA5BK with a band split of 146-174 MHz. I know it was close to the edge of the 2m band but hoped it would go out far enough to work. I programmed the radio up yesterday with some local repeaters and tested. I immediately made a contact on our club's repeater and asked for a radio check. Contact reported full quieting. I was able to key up once more but then began to hear a squeal coming from radio and the error tone on key up. I turned radio off and checked my antenna and it was fine, powered radio back on and I now receive the FAIL 001 on PTT.

Questions:

I understand that FAIL001 is the Synthesizer error, Is this because the radio is the 146-174 MHz instead of the 136-170 MHz band split?
Could this be a bad capacitor issue?
I paid about $85.00 for this radio, is it worth having all the capacitors replaced, (beyond my soldering skill level)?
Anyone have any advise on how to proceed I thank you in advance.
Davkenrem
N8DKR
Zack08

Re: VHF Spectra Fail 001 Question

Post by Zack08 »

Program a couple frequencies that are higher in the band and see if they all give the FAIL001 or if its just on the edge of the split. Also, make sure your input voltage is good, I have seen some radios in other series unlock at their band edges if the supply was too low.

I suppose it could be a cap issue, as those darn things can cause all sorts of goofy problems. If I were you, I would get the caps replaced if you clear up this Fail001, as they can completely ruin a perfectly good radio. A couple bucks worth of caps and paying somebody for labor is still cheaper than buying a whole new radio.
OCSD117
was RPDM313
What radios do you own?: XTL2500, APX3000, APX7000

Post by OCSD117 »

Talk to Will. I have had 3 radios caps replaced for anywhere from 60 to 100 bucks!

Pretty cheap for excellent work!
Carlwood Lipton: [real life interview with Lipton where he recites a quote from William Shakespeare] From this day to the ending of the world we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.
davkenrem

Post by davkenrem »

RPDM313 wrote:Talk to Will. I have had 3 radios caps replaced for anywhere from 60 to 100 bucks!

Pretty cheap for excellent work!

What is Will's username?
Davkenrem
N8DKR
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Will
Will

Post by Will »

davkenrem wrote:The model no# is D43KMA7JA5BK with a band split of 146-174 MHz.
Questions:
I understand that FAIL001 is the Synthesizer error, Is this because the radio is the 146-174 MHz instead of the 136-170 MHz band split?
Could this be a bad capacitor issue?
I paid about $85.00 for this radio, is it worth having all the capacitors replaced, (beyond my soldering skill level)?
Anyone have any advise on how to proceed I thank you in advance.
It very well could be the bad capacitor issue. VHF range 2 Spectras will cover the 144 to 146 part of the ham band.
Yes I think it is worth repairing and bringing up to factory specifications.
davkenrem

Post by davkenrem »

Thanks for all the advice, I think I have someone here local who can do the caps for me. I'll report back the outcome.
Davkenrem
N8DKR

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”