HLN1185 Siren Tones

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

scvfd1204
What radios do you own?: Most older style legacy gear..

HLN1185 Siren Tones

Post by scvfd1204 »

Does anyone out there know exactly what the HLN1185 amp uses to produce its siren tones?

I love the wail and yelp, but that Hi-Lo is not worth it.

I would love to find a way to generate the whelen or older SVP style "piercer" tone with this amp if possible.

Does this amp use the same style sound generators or whatever makes the tones as any other siren units out there?

In my opinion the Wail and Yelp on the HLN1185s kick butt, and then next comes the mid 90s SVP units and then the newer Whelen stuff.

To make my own wired "intersection tone", I just usually rapidly push the Wail, Yelp & Hi-Lo buttons all at the same time a bunch of times in a row...makes an interesting noise...

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated...

Jeff
Surf City, NC
SlimBob

Re: HLN1185 Siren Tones

Post by SlimBob »

The HLN1185 uses the microprocessor inside of the siren housing to generate siren tones. It will play out a "ramp" or so across several pins to produce a tone.

To generate custom tones in that siren unit, one would have to completely reverse engineer the siren unit.
scvfd1204
What radios do you own?: Most older style legacy gear..

Re: HLN1185 Siren Tones

Post by scvfd1204 »

Thanks for the reply.

OK on the microprocessor. Is this how many of the other sirens out there (Whelen, Carson, FedSig, etc) generate their tones?

Would love to replace the hi-lo with Whelen's "peircer" tone.

I have some vacation and sick time coming up, and I will definitely be looking for something to occupy me during that time....
"Sniffing RF for a living doesn't have any long term effects...effects...effects...effects."

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”