Removing unsightly marks & scratches from radio LCD window

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Removing unsightly marks & scratches from radio LCD window

Post by kotaguchi »

Here is a tip I want to pass on to those that have portable or mobile LCD displays.

Got a mark or scratch on your portable radio's LCD display?

Well, on most radios,the outer LCD display is not the display but the plastic window built in the portable radio's housing.

Here is what you need:

One can of Brasso Multi Purpose Metal Polish (about $3.00 at most hardware stores)

Q-tips or commercial use cotton stick swabs (commercial or hospital grade swabs are better that it lasts a bit longer)

Clean cloth(an old t-shirt will do)

Get the cotton swab and put a tiny amount of Brasso solution and rub in small vigorous circle until the Brasso solution starts to dry and you start to hear the squeaking from rubbing the plastic with the cotton swabs.

Keep rubbing till all almost all the Brasso that was on the swab is gone from the screen and repeat process over and over till the screen's marks or scratches are gone or near gone.

Once you are done, use the clean cloth to wipe screen and see the work. Repeat the swabbing process as desired or necessary.

This technique is no guarantee that it will work 100% of the time but in most cases,a lot of the scratches or marks on the plastic housing's window will be less noticeable or will be gone.

Hint: You may want to use a masking tape around the window of the housing so you don't put any polish on the radios housing.

Do not attempt this on the radio housing without the internal radio installed. If you do, you may break or force the plastic window out of the housing.

This is great for those that have radios with minor marks or scratches on the LCD window. Not for those windows that have deep gauges into the window.

Disclaimer:I give this info freely and I will not take responsibility to any damages occurred. Use commonsense and good judgment.

Regards,

Ko
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
Zack08

Re: Removing unsightly marks & scratches from radio LCD window

Post by Zack08 »

Be careful when using metal polish, as the particles in the polish might not be as fine as they would be in a solution designed for plastic. I personally use a polish that's sold for cleaning plastic motorcycle windshields.

I don't know if any Motorola radios use lexan for their LCD windows, but if they do, be sure to get a polish that is designed for lexan. A normal plastic polish will sometimes make lexan foggy.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Re: Removing unsightly marks & scratches from radio LCD window

Post by n7maq »

We use Braso all the time for Iden units. It works great for them.

Beware on most mid to high end Motorola units the lens is coated, and you will remove the coating.

Jim.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”