XTS-2500 Invalid Checksum when reading radio...

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jack

XTS-2500 Invalid Checksum when reading radio...

Post by Jack »

Trying to read a codeplug on an XTS-2500 so we can program some of our talk groups in another agency's radio. When I read the radio, everything looks find and then when the codeplug is about to come up on screen, it gives me the following error:

Block Dynamic Control Channel List [1] has an invalid cheksum

Anyone know how I can get around this without possibly having to blow a brand new codeplug into the radio??
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Re: XTS-2500 Invalid Checksum when reading radio...

Post by Mfire39 »

Whats the flashcode & firmware in the radio, I think I've seen this before.....

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I wish I had written it down. The radio is already gone. If I get it back to try again, I'll post it.
dave.au
What radios do you own?: 5k/4k/3k/xtl5k

Post by dave.au »

has the radio been field upgraded? - firmware / flash upgrade? seen this happen after adding features to a radio, cps would'nt let me read the codeplug out.

its an internal checksum error on the codeplug srec inside the radio. usually the only way of fixing it is sending it in or a big hammer.

Dave.
Jack

Post by Jack »

The radio hasn't been changed from when it came from the factory other than having a codeplug loaded in it. Weird thing is that the radio works fine and is back out to an officer right now without issue. Just can't make a small change to the codeplug that I needed to make.
cbus

Post by cbus »

I get these same issues on a Genuine USB lead. Try unplugging the usb and using a different port
Jack

Post by Jack »

I'll give that a try when I get the radio back. Thanks for the tip.
cbus

Post by cbus »

Jack wrote:I'll give that a try when I get the radio back. Thanks for the tip.
no probs, I'm not sure why this happens with USB leads. It can't be a USB port power setting as it happens on both my work pc's and laptops. I just unplug the radio, switch it off, plug back in the USB and turn the radio back on(it will re-install the drivers if you have not used that usb port before). works fine after that.

cheers
dave.au
What radios do you own?: 5k/4k/3k/xtl5k

Post by dave.au »

The best way of connecting the radio to the usb cable I have found especially when reflashing / firmware updating is to
1) connect your cable to the same usb port everytime,
2) open your software then connect the radio and
3) power on the radio

if you change usb ports enough and use different radios etc it will go haywire, ended up running everything inside a virtural machine as I couldnt format the pc at the time.

But if that radio has not been updated etc I doubt changing the usb port will work, the xts5000 / 2500's can have a codeplug loaded with checksum errors (block checksum errors) and the radio will function fine, and most of these checksum errors wont affect cps, but there are some that do as in your case.

Goodluck.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Thanks for the tips guys. I've tried all this to no avail. I'm wondering if the radio will let me put in another codeplug without reading it first. I have one for that radio serial number even though it's not the one I want. It might take it. I just hate to do all of that work again to the codeplug!!! I'm trying to avoid doing it but then again if it works, I probably would have been done with it by now.
akardam

Post by akardam »

If you have a codeplug that matches model, serial and flash, by all means try programming it. At this point I don't think you have anything to lose. Worst case scenario is that it would cause the radio further dysfunction and you'd have to send it to the depot to have it fixed (which you might have to anyway if this doesn't fix it).

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”