09/10 error help

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kristofer886
New User

09/10 error help

Post by kristofer886 »

For all you experts out there. I have an issue. I have some radios that get the error 09/10 when receiving a encrypted digital transmission. I can find nothing wrong with the radios but there is some possible interference on the repeater. Is this a issue with the radio or interference. I know the 09/10 error is secure hardware failure, but when 2 radios do it at the same time receiving a digital signal, I think it has something to do with interference. Any ideas/ help I would appreciate. Thanks
sethcwilliams
What radios do you own?: Moto, Harris, GD, Raytheon

Re: 09/10 error help

Post by sethcwilliams »

Something to look into....

Are you running narrowband channels on XTS (5000) radios? If so, you may notice that the errors occur at what would be the weak signal fringe. If that's happening, the short answer is to update the host and DSP version. I want to say version 11, but don't quote me on that. It's available through flashport in the CPS, you'll have to get the liscenses in bulk through Motorola for each radio. My educated guess as to why.... Incompatible settings between the radios and repeaters while in a narrowband mode. It took the Moto engineers that I get support from a while to sort through it. It happened on almost every system as we moved them from 25 kHz channel spacing to 12.5 kHz. The flashport upgrade cleared the problems altogether.

Can't say that's exactly your problem, but it certainly sounds similar to what I've already run into. Hope this helps.
Semper Fi,
BONZ

Not a Motorola Guy, but I play one throughout the week....
kristofer886
New User

Post by kristofer886 »

I'm running narrowband on the XTS-5000 radios. The software refresh is most likely the answer, I have tried many things to try and fix this and all have failed. Thanks for the help.
sethcwilliams

Post by sethcwilliams »

sethcwilliams wrote:It happened on almost every system as we moved them from 25 kHz channel spacing to 12.5 kHz.
Scratch that last sentence. I'm an idiot sometimes but that's nothing new. What was actually happening was changing the settings in "Zone Channel Assignments" from "5kHz and 25kHz" to "2.5kHz and 12.5kHz". Turns out (I just figured this out), when running an ASTRO system with C4FM or CQPSK as the modulation type, you're already transmitting with 2.5kHz deviation and 12.5kHz channel spacing regardless of the settings under "Zone Channel Assignments". I talked to another gentlemen in this forum who told me those settings, when tranmitting with digital modulation, only served to prime the receiver IF to receive wideband broadcast from analog radios while operating in mixed mode.

Long story short, changing the "Zone Channel Assignments" setting from "5kHz and 25kHz" to "2.5kHz and 12.5kHz" caused us to receive 09/10 errors from the UCM on a large percentage of radios. My expirience was specifically with XTS-5000s so I can't really speak to issues with other radio models. Either way, the updated host and dsp firmware resolved the problem.
Semper Fi,
BONZ

sethcwilliams

Post by sethcwilliams »

FYI for anybody else who's had this problem, version numbers are as follows:

Host: R11.00.03
DSP: R11.00.03
UCM: R05.05.03
Semper Fi,
BONZ

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”