CDM1550 Power hookup question

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

maansman
New User

CDM1550 Power hookup question

Post by maansman »

Hi Everyone -

Getting ready to install this radio, and I have a few questions to ask in regards to the power hookup. The cable it came with is the HKN4137A, which is not ignition sense I believe, but, do I really need to purchase the ignition sense cable? Could I just insert/secure a power lead on the #10 port in back of the radio to control the on/off? (My radio has a male pin connector that says "PC"..does that pull off?) Also, when they say "Ignition", is it the same as accessory type power when the car is switched on, or does it have to go to the actual ignition connection, or to the battery?

Sorry of this is soooo newbie...

Thanks for your help.

- Mark
maansman
New User

Re: CDM1550 Power hookup question

Post by maansman »

Well, here is an update for anybody who may want to know....

I went to my local Moto shop, got the 16pin adapter that snaps into the 20 pin connector in the back.....what's cool is that the kit from Motorola includes the 16 pin adapter & accessory wire with the #10 pin....all for only $10.

- Mark
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

not shure what youare asking, if you are going to use ignition sense then you need to connect pin 10 to an ignition activated source but if you are not using it just turn that part off in the cps and you will have to turn it on and off manually. you don't need it if you are just gonna connect it to the same +12v as the radio
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
ve3nsv

Post by ve3nsv »

Or just use a jumper between pins 7 & 9 on the accessory connector and switch the power lead.
NS1J
New User

Post by NS1J »

If I may be so bold I'd like to synchronize all of the replies to maansman. The way the CDM was designed it is intended to be connected directly to power using as short and as large gauge a wire as possible. If you want to do that AND leave the radio turned on but only have it actually come on when you turn the key on you must connect a small wire from pin 10 to some source in the vehicle that is hot only when the ignition is on. Now, as to how you do that I strongly recommend using a connector like the one you mention, but which should have also come with the radio. The purpose for using the connector is there are other things you may want to connect to the radio, such as an external speaker if the vehicle is diesel or operates in a noisy environment. This is two more pins on the connector. I install all of my CDMs this way. Again, as HLA points out you need to program the radio to operate this way. You can set it up so it ONLY turns on and off using the front know, or ONLY operates via the ignition sense pin but I program them to look for both. In my police installs there are times they want to turn the radio off but leave the ignition on.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

NS1J wrote:Now, as to how you do that I strongly recommend using a connector like the one you mention, but which should have also come with the radio.
None of the new CDMs I've seen came with one. I don't do the ordering here so I don't know if it's an option or needs to be ordered seperately.
NS1J
New User

Post by NS1J »

I could be mistaken relative to the connector. I order all CDMs with an external speaker so I guess I don't know whether the connector comes with the radio or the speaker. I do know that a lot of the units don't need the external speaker so I have a pile of speakers! One way or the other I put that connector on 100% of the CDMs to use ignition sense which then makes it available when I need to add another accessory such as a speaker.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

The ignition sense kit is not included with the CDM radios and external speakers are generally ordered on a separate and are not available as an "option" with the radio. The speakers come pre-wired for external audio including the connector, but do not include any additional leads. The ignition sense kit is HKN9327BR and includes a 4 amp fuse inline with the ignition sense line

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”