OTAP/POP25

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

pfd radio

OTAP/POP25

Post by pfd radio »

What do I need to do over-the-air programming?
Is this a one at a time process? or can I do a fleet of radios at the same time?
How does the data get to the radios? Do I need to setup a "Data" channel.

Any help is appreciated

Using XTS5000 & XTS2500's
xmo

Re: OTAP/POP25

Post by xmo »

Contact your system administrator to determine if your system supports this feature.

As currently implemented you program the radios one at a time by establishing a connection to a specific unit using the Astro25 CPS through an IV&D enabled [WNG & ARS equipped] Smartzone 7.X infrastructure.

See the Astro25 CPS Help and Tutorial files for further information, for example:

"Motorola’s Over The Air Programming feature, also known as OTAP, allows you to transmit and receive codeplug data over the air; this is accomplished without the need of any radio programming cables. From the CPS to an “in the field” radio, this Over The Air Programming feature is capable of: Reading, Writing, and even Cloning codeplug data."
pfd radio

Post by pfd radio »

I need to program 50 XTS2500 model 1.5 on a conventional system with Astro 25 option. What physical hardware would I need? Each radio will have an exclusive ip address (if I've read everything correct, so far).

If anyone can help me out with the following:
IV&D?
WNG & ARS?

The reason I ask is because I need to re-program some or all of these radios on an event driven basis. It is really time consuming to go to each vehicle, round up all the radios, take the microphone off and then put them back together and replace them on the vehicle.

The CPS tutorial is a bit to vague for me or maybe its me, any help is appreciated.
akardam

Post by akardam »

I'd contact Motorola and arrange for some training.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Just an FYI:

From what I understand you can only OTAP so many radios in a given time period. I think I heard 7 portables an hour / channel. (Please do not quote me on that, but I think it's close to accurate).

So you would need to have enough extra channels to program your radios without causing system busy on voice channels.

I think if you do the math you will soon discover that by the math above, it would take you 7ish hours to reprogram 50 radios using 1 data channel. I also do not believe this is something that is 100% automated.

-Alex

(EDIT: I don't even think it is possible to do this on a conventional system - it is a IV&D 7.x feature.)
pfd radio wrote:I need to program 50 XTS2500 model 1.5 on a conventional system with Astro 25 option. What physical hardware would I need? Each radio will have an exclusive ip address (if I've read everything correct, so far).

If anyone can help me out with the following:
IV&D?
WNG & ARS?

The reason I ask is because I need to re-program some or all of these radios on an event driven basis. It is really time consuming to go to each vehicle, round up all the radios, take the microphone off and then put them back together and replace them on the vehicle.

The CPS tutorial is a bit to vague for me or maybe its me, any help is appreciated.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

I do beleive you also need to have encryption in each subscriber to complete an OTAP.
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
pfd radio

Post by pfd radio »

I'll give Motorola a call.

If the example above of 7 an hour is correct, I may be better off running around and doing it the old fashion way.

Thanks for all the replies.
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

Motorola's POP25 solution is a feature that is currently offered on the ASTRO 25 Conventional and Trunking Integrated Voice & Data (IV&D) Systems. The POP25 feature allows a customer to configure a radio remotely from his/her enterprise network by sending a sequence of commands over-the-air via the ASTRO 25 IV&D system. It is expected that POP25 will significantly reduce the operational costs of IV&D radios by configuring personalities, channels, sites, etc in a radio without physically touching the radio. POP25 can update a radio that is available anywhere within the coverage area of the radio's home system. POP25 for Conventional systems uses digital encryption for added security.

Refer to the POP25 FAQ for further information which can be obtained by clicking here.

System Components:

The POP25 Solution consists of the following components:

ASTRO 25 Integrated Voice & Data (IV&D) System: The POP25 solution uses the ASTRO 25 IV&D system's data pipe to transport the radio configuration information. Refer below for the requirements for Trunking and Conventional systems

Compatible POP25 XTS & XTL Subscribers: POP25 is currently supported on the XTS/XTL 5000, XTS/XTL 2500. The XTS/XTL 1500 platforms is supported for ASTRO 25 Trunking IV&D only. The Packet Data and POP25 options must be enabled in the subscriber radio to allow POP25 capability. Also for Conventional systems, Digital Encryption must be enabled on the radio.

CPS: For Conventional systems latest version of CPS (R12.00.00 or later) must be running on a PC in the customer network. To support POP25 for Trunking systems, CPS version (R09.00.00 or later is required.

Advanced System Key: The Advanced System Key is a physical hardware key that grants access to the POP25 feature. It is connected to a parallel port or USB port of the PC running the Customer Programming Software (CPS). The CPS will verify the proper key is attached before every read, write, and clone operation.

ASTRO 25 Presence Notifier Application: The ASTRO Presence Notifier Application provides the presence, absence, and routing information of two-way portable and mobile subscriber radios to any compatible data applications located in the Customer Enterprise Network (CEN). It interfaces with data applications and subscriber radios using User Datagram Protocol / Internet Protocol (UDP/IP).

ASTRO 25 Conventional IV&D
Radio Software : Version R12.00.00 or later CPS: Version R12.00.00 or later (RVN4181)
ASTRO CAI operation: Q806
System Enhancement Software: H35 (or H37, H38 in Conventional Mode)
Packet Data Interface: Q947
Digital Encryption UCM module: Q159 plus an encryption algorithm. All encryption algorithms except ADP supported
POP25 : G996

IV&D ASTRO 25 Trunking IV&D
Radio Software: Version R09.00.00
Customer Programming Software (CPS): Version R09.00.00 or later (RVN4181)
ASTRO CAI operation: Q806
System Enhancement Software : H38
ASTRO Project 25 Trunking Software: Q361 for XTS 5000, Q574 for XTS 1500/2500
Packet Data Interface: Q947
POP25 G996 G996
akardam

Post by akardam »

radioinstl wrote:Refer to the POP25 FAQ for further information which can be obtained by clicking here.
Just remember, wherever we go, here we are.
pfd radio

Post by pfd radio »

Radioinstl that was very informative. Thank you for taking the time to explain that. Thanks to everyone else, I'll be sticking with the programming cable for now.
corona
New User

Post by corona »

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of setting up OTAP environment in ASTRO conventional? We have worked with /\/\ engineer for like three weeks, but only have little progress so far. This is the first system deployed in my country (i am not in US), so no one in our company or /\/\ really have the experience.

Our radios equipped with all the options mentioned above, and we also have WNG/RNC/KMF in our infrastructure. KMF could do encrypted hello and clear hello to the radio without any problems. However, the radio is not able to register to ARS(PN) server in "Secure" packet data mode now. Therefore, we are not able to do OTAP read/write. The registration works fine in "Clear" mode.

To make it more confusing, we actually were able to read the radio from air interface a few days ago, but were not able to write to it. CPS responsed with "OTAP can not write the radio using the attached Advanced Keys. The System IDs do not match. Replace and reload the Advanced Keys." Does anyone know where to set this "System ID" in CPS (and what does this System ID mean)?

ps: We don't know what we have done to make OTAP read working/not working, because we kept changing our CPS version between R12 and R13, and changed settings in CPS/WNG by /\/\'s request.

It is high appreciated if any one could shed a light and provide us with a working codeplug and necessary settings in WNG. (It took us and /\/\ engineers two weeks to figure out that we have to set the radio IP subnet in WNG->LAN Services->Subnet to be able to ping the radio)

Thank you and have a nice day.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Corona,

Go back up to Alex's comment, above, as to whether or not it's even possible to do OTAP with a conventional setup and use his reference as a starting point. Might save you some time, especially since Motorola is giving you a big runaround.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
wa6ylb

Post by wa6ylb »

You mentioned using v12 then V13 CPS. There was an note on MOL resource center a while back not to use version 13 (13.00.00 I believe) for OATP. I noticed today that this note isn't there, but version 13.00.01 is now there.
Is it possible that your version of CPS V13 is 13.00.00? - if so, you may want to
upgrade one of your CPS's you using to 13.00.01. I didn't see the restrictions saying not to use
13 for OTAP in the notes for this version.
I did see where others mentioned that OTAP was for Conventional systems. We are currently working
with big M to actually turn this on in a multi channel conventional system.

It would be interesting to have you describe each step of the portable / mobiles / base stations etc, that was
done, to get as far as you did. (i.e. You mentioned IP addresses)
B.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

What a convoluted mess. I wonder if very many users/systems will actually take advantage of it?
corona
New User

Post by corona »

Hi,

Just a quick follow-up for you guys. The OTAP read problem was cause by IB/OB Strapes settings in WNG. Apparently, we have to set it to "Y" in order for the OTAP reading to work. As for the conventional OTAP writing, we were told that we have to take out the "trunking option" from the firmware, and after /\/\ did it for us, it works now..:).. Happy ending!

Return to “Radio Programming”