LED Bar as part of roof rack?

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mhayes
New User

LED Bar as part of roof rack?

Post by mhayes »

Driving down the highway I saw an Expedition with LEDs as the cross bars on the factory roof rack, both front and back. They were in plain sight but virtually invisible. I have no clue who it was so I could not contact him to find out about it.
Has anyone seen this type of set up? I would love to do this on my suburban but not sure if this was a product custom made to do this or just something this guys agency came up with.

Any thoughts?
GMC

Re: LED Bar as part of roof rack?

Post by GMC »

On my tahoe I have 911ep strips mounted on the underside of the roof rack cross bars. When there off you don't even notice them. When there on they look great.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

Ive mounted 911ep bars between the roof rails on explorers and tahoes. Ive used brackets and mounted them to the factory sliding rails.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Yep, probably one of the "stick" lights (Whelen Dominator, 911EP WD/TL series - though I can't recommend 911EP these days), etc.
Ranger522
What radios do you own?: APX8000, everything ASTRO

Post by Ranger522 »

Could you identify what state or area? I have that setup on mine, I built them from scratch. White '08 Expedition, TN/AL/MS area.

Give me some time and I'll get a pic.
My Radios:
Motorola- APX8500/8000/7500/7000/6500, ASTRO Spectra, XTS3000, XTL5000, XTS5000, HT1000, MCS2000, MCC7500, MaraTrac, GTR8000/Quantar/K-Core/IMW/CompassCom AVL
Kenwood- TK-8160, TH-F6
Datron- Gardian Mobile/Portable
Thales- Racal T25
Yaesu- FT8900
More.....
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Such a setup is very popular around the DC area. Police, fire, feds all do it. A good deal of them were done with sho-me "led-by-the-inch", and run the length of the roof rack in addition to the width for 360 coverage. I have even seen this done on fully marked SUVs that already have a lightbar!
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I've seen NYPD admin rides does this way with Whelen Dominators and I think a FS counterparts. Looked nice.

Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
allplowedout
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by allplowedout »

Can anyone who installed such a setup comment on specific entry point(s) used for wiring from the bars under the factory roof racks?

I know there are a few points usable for penetration into the vehicle but hopefully someone has perfected this for long term weather resistance.

Thanks
GMC

Post by GMC »

I have a bar installed like in the picture and I brougnt the wire in under the front trim piece for tha rack on the passanger side.
allplowedout

Post by allplowedout »

What method did you use to seal the penetration and have you experienced any water issues on that install?
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

Black RTV silicone
allplowedout

Post by allplowedout »

Figured it would be simple but thought someone may have come up with something unique, thanks
Spinners33
New User

Post by Spinners33 »

Theres a company called XtCreeBar that makes something like this and it is programmable.
I have wanted it for awhile but its pretty expensive. This is pretty cool too though.
Jatla

Post by Jatla »

As far as weather-proofing the electrical connections -modified NMO mounts for the supplies, (one for each separate color/flash segment) they're already grounded...most of these vehicles already have a plethora of antennas, what's another couple of holes for power??
Standing by...
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

wow.

(how many other people just slapped their forehead for that?)
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

Jatla wrote:As far as weather-proofing the electrical connections -modified NMO mounts for the supplies, (one for each separate color/flash segment) they're already grounded...most of these vehicles already have a plethora of antennas, what's another couple of holes for power??
Huh?

Most LED's need a minimal size wire. The largest hole I have drilled is maybe 1/2in for a few cables. If properly sealed its never a problem. Ive had more leaks with NMO mounts than I care to remember.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

FireCpt809 wrote:
Jatla wrote:As far as weather-proofing the electrical connections -modified NMO mounts for the supplies, (one for each separate color/flash segment) they're already grounded...most of these vehicles already have a plethora of antennas, what's another couple of holes for power??
Huh?

Most LED's need a minimal size wire. The largest hole I have drilled is maybe 1/2in for a few cables. If properly sealed its never a problem. Ive had more leaks with NMO mounts than I care to remember.
Then you're not installing them properly. I've installed literally hundreds of NMO mounts... hell, on my last 3 POVs, I've installed 15, 18, and 15 of them. Never had a single one of them leak a drop.
FireCpt809

Post by FireCpt809 »

Mine dont leak. Its the ones come in from other installers that I fix.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

The ones I saw installed on Expeditions at Police Fleet Expo were set to replace the cross bars, then the wiring was run internally through the mounting feet of the luggage rack, then straight down through the roof, no wires visable at all.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: AS mob, ASIII, XTS/XTL

Post by jban »

Did that to my 2016 Expedition on the rear. Stacked two Fenix sticks with simple "L" brackets and fit between the factory luggage rails. Routed the wires by drilling a hole in the inside end of the rail support and dropped into the cabin. A little silicon around the outside hole and done. Worked great. (I had the light stick with an arrow stick underneath it. Really simple
John B
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Holy 11 years old Batman
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
jban
What radios do you own?: AS mob, ASIII, XTS/XTL

Post by jban »

Thought the thread could use a little life, 🤔
John B

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”