Fail 01/82

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

gatekeep
What radios do you own?: XTS2500i III, AS III

Fail 01/82

Post by gatekeep »

I have an XTS2500 with Fail 01/82...is there anyway to recover this with a good saved codeplug?
- Bryan
"So the best solution is to paint them to blue color and throw them to the sea?" in reference to MTS2000 F01/93.
Jim202

Re: Fail 01/82

Post by Jim202 »

I could be wrong, but I would bet you have a bad frequency programmed in or a botched
programming and have an EEPROM error. You may or may not be able to recover. Try
to drop in an old codeplug that hopefully you saved from the last successful programming.

Jim

gatekeep wrote:I have an XTS2500 with Fail 01/82...is there anyway to recover this with a good saved codeplug?
gatekeep

Post by gatekeep »

I saved the last codeplug but, the radio won't write, CPS complains the radio won't acknowledge.
- Bryan
"So the best solution is to paint them to blue color and throw them to the sea?" in reference to MTS2000 F01/93.
gatekeep

Post by gatekeep »

*whew* Ok so I got my radio to write...

Basically to get the radio to write I had to tell CPS to write the radio before FAIL 01/82 appears on the screen.
- Bryan
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

Just out of curiosity, what firmware version is in your 2500?

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
gatekeep

Post by gatekeep »

It is R12.00.03.

The weird thing is this thing out-right refused to write any other way. It was almost as if it was deaf to the world, don't know why writing it like I did worked.
- Bryan
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

I think this is some funky CPS issue starting with R12.00.00 >. I've had the same thing happen with different models (ie: Spectra Plus's, XTL Consolettes, XTL Mobiles, and XTS Portables) but just keep shoving away at it and ignoring the error and it eventually takes. This is especially true with cloning... I had 3-4 XTS5000 portables with the same firmware and flashcode and the CPS said that they couldn't be cloned because the "feature set was different". I finally got pissed enough to just keep trying, and eventually it did the clone / program. Dunno...
gatekeep

Post by gatekeep »

Ya, I basically lost my cool when the radio exhibited 01/82 as I know it tends to be a PITA to clear on the XTS series. So tried a variety of different things, programming the radio right as it was booting seemed to work.

I'm still baffled how this happened in the first place, its like CPS barfed and stopped writing the radio.
- Bryan
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

It was a known issue using CPS12 with Firmware 11.

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
gatekeep

Post by gatekeep »

The radio has R12.00.03 though...
- Bryan
The Pager Geek
What radios do you own?: Disney FRS

Post by The Pager Geek »

I was clarifying the specific circumstances for 4n6inv and giving insight as to why Mfire39 was asking in the first place. I'm sure he was just as curious as I whether the currect CPS corrects a problem that was previously only correctable with a trip to the depot.

Yours doesn't fit that criteria.

tpg
Experienced Provider of Useless Information
gatekeep

Post by gatekeep »

The Pager Geek wrote:I was clarifying the specific circumstances for 4n6inv and giving insight as to why Mfire39 was asking in the first place. I'm sure he was just as curious as I whether the currect CPS corrects a problem that was previously only correctable with a trip to the depot.

Yours doesn't fit that criteria.

tpg
Ah sorry I misunderstood who the comment was directed at. Apologies.
- Bryan
ryujin
New User
What radios do you own?: XTS2500

Post by ryujin »

Should CPS R13 be installed at this point, or is R12 still the CPS of choice for this radio?
-Ryu Jin

"Brilliance is simply the art of planning ahead."
-Brizon
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

I started having the problem at R12.00.00 and am still experiencing it with 13.00.01. Firmware Revs from 5.xx up to 12.xx current. I've even read an Astro Spectra Plus consolette, added a new zone and freqs, and the CPS barfed and said the feature set didn't match. I had to shove it in 3 different times before it accepted the CP. Likewise with cloning exact same XTS5000 portables with exactly the same flash and firmware. It does it about 25-30% of the time; seems like... Same or similar experiences with three different laptops, Dell Mini 9, Dell 610, HP, and a Dell Desktop. All running Win XP Pro SP3. Weird. I'm not sure (because no one will admit anything) but; I've had other funky SW compatibility issues - not just Motorola - with SP3.
Mfire39
What radios do you own?: APX

Post by Mfire39 »

4n6inv wrote:I've even read an Astro Spectra Plus consolette, added a new zone and freqs, and the CPS barfed and said the feature set didn't match. I had to shove it in 3 different times before it accepted the CP.
A little trick for when that happens... When you are done editing or adding to the codplug after you read the radio, save the plug and open it back up before writing back to the radio. It shouldn't give you the "feature set mis-match" error. This applies to portables and mobiles.

-Marc
Stupidity creates job security!

If your radio has old firmware, programming it with the latest CPS will not add any new features unless you have the latest firmware to match..

CPS = Customer Programming Software, Not CPS Software.
4n6inv

Post by 4n6inv »

Marc,

That is exactly what I wound up having to do to get the radios to take the codeplugs. I ALWAYS save before writing, but I just tried what you suggested on an outside chance and it worked! Thanks for the heads up. Weird problem to say the least...

Jim
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Mfire39 wrote:
4n6inv wrote: A little trick for when that happens... When you are done editing or adding to the codplug after you read the radio, save the plug and open it back up before writing back to the radio. It shouldn't give you the "feature set mis-match" error. This applies to portables and mobiles.

-Marc
Wow! Thanks Marc. I have seen this error as recently as yesterday. Your fix is much easier than quitting, CPS, unplugging the radio, then starting over (which is what I have been doing).

Thanks again!

Marshall
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

There is 'some' error checking within the CPS and I have seen it correct errors such as this. Usually it means some bit didn't get put in the right place, and when you reopen the codeplug file, the cps populates the fields in the software slightly differently, removing your error.

Its FM.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”