Converting MT2000 to JT1000

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

k5hdm
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Lots

Converting MT2000 to JT1000

Post by k5hdm »

Hi, is it possible to modify a MT2000 to a JT1000? I just got a great deal on 2 BRAND NEW and 1 barely used MT2000s.. ($30 bucks each!).. They were backups for the forest service.. and 2 of them had been sitting in the box since 1996 with the plastic still on it.. the things had never even been programmed.. there was the original sticker over the accessory port.. I actually broke the seal on the box for the 1st time.. i was like SCORE!! I have the RSS, but it'd be nice to be able to FPP.. If anyone knows what needs to be done to convert them to the JT, please msg me or reply..

Thanks!
-H
-Harmon - K5HDM
http://www.k5hdm.com
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Re: Converting MT2000 to JT1000

Post by MTS2000des »

JT1000 has a special controller with a masked ROM with the magic firmware. Not practical to replace the controller on a NOS radio, aside, something like that is a collector's item. Too bad they are older (non-narrowband) compliant MT2K's.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

MTS2000des wrote:JT1000 has a special controller with a masked ROM with the magic firmware. Not practical to replace the controller on a NOS radio, aside, something like that is a collector's item. Too bad they are older (non-narrowband) compliant MT2K's.
Funny you mention that. I was looking at my MT2K's this afternoon and the one's I have dated 1995 and 1998 will only do 25 spacing (the conv. personality option screen cursor passes right over spacing). My HT1000's going back to 1996 all have selectable bandwith. All my JT's show narrow, mid, or wide right from the keypad. Anyone know what date or rev. that 12.5 capability started on the MT2K ?
k5hdm
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE
What radios do you own?: Lots

Post by k5hdm »

my firmware is 2.13 and they all do the narrowband 2.5khz spacing.. I'm not sure what year or version they went to the narrowband capability, but all 3 of these will do it.. i have an older MT2000 with 2.00 FW and it DOESN'T do the narrowband..

Thanks
-Harmon - K5HDM
http://www.k5hdm.com
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

A friend of mine, Bobby, WE4B worked at the Plantation factory back then, when the JT 1000 first came out. The first ones were converted MT 2000's. He was given a bunch of radios to convert. With each radio came a goody bag containing the necessary components, decals, & serial tag to convert the radio to a JT 1000. He didn't save the paperwork, but described the process to me years ago. After that first batch, a special controller board was designed & built specifically for the JT 1000. It then became a regular production option. Unfortunately the trade off was for the ability to have keypad programing back then, you could only have 16 memories. GARY N4KVE
Sikdmax
New User

Post by Sikdmax »

N4KVE wrote:A friend of mine, Bobby, WE4B worked at the Plantation factory back then, when the JT 1000 first came out. The first ones were converted MT 2000's. He was given a bunch of radios to convert. With each radio came a goody bag containing the necessary components, decals, & serial tag to convert the radio to a JT 1000. He didn't save the paperwork, but described the process to me years ago. After that first batch, a special controller board was designed & built specifically for the JT 1000. It then became a regular production option. Unfortunately the trade off was for the ability to have keypad programing back then, you could only have 16 memories. GARY N4KVE
Neat stuff!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”