Using a Linksys WRT54G router with a Siemens DSL router/mode

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Using a Linksys WRT54G router with a Siemens DSL router/mode

Post by Pj »

I have a SE567 DSL router/modem from Frontier (Citizens Communications). I'd like to disable the wireless in the DSL modem and use the linksys wireless... I've done it before, but lately I can't get the two to talk properly..then I end up resetting the dsl to factory about 15 times.

I know Frontier has changed some things and checked over at DSLreports but I am not feeling any love.

Project #2....

If the above doesn't work, could the WRT54g be used wireless to the router? What I would like to do is stick the Linksys in the media center, hook all the junk up and have it wireless talk back to the DSL router so I don't have to run a network cable across the house?

Linksys firmware is v8.0
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Re: Using a Linksys WRT54G router with a Siemens DSL router/mode

Post by JAYMZ »

If you set the Wireless mode to "none" that should shut off the wireless on the modem. I would then check the addressing and DHCP on both devices. You may have to manually assign addresses on both devices, just leave DHCP on at the WRT54G. I would check your NAT settings as well.

But to be sure that you are hooked up and getting addresses where they should be is through PING and TRACERT on your PC to your gateway.

Your second option would work, all you would have to do is set the WRT54G up as a repeater. Just remember that you are cutting down your wireless bandwidth doing that.

A third option if you feel so inclined...

Buy 2 plain jane wireless APs set all 3 SSIDs the same on different channels (1,6,11 to prevent interference) and have wireless coverage throughout the house roaming between the APs.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”