Help with wireless card for Panasonic CF-29

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Cam
Batboard $upporter

Help with wireless card for Panasonic CF-29

Post by Cam »

For whatever reason a few of my companies CF-29 are set up like they were for SBC where instead of the cell card being a part of the "sled" that goes in the right side of the notebook, they used a standard PCMCIA card in the upper slot with the rf cable plugged in to it and a metal cover over the whole thing. All this is inside the plastic door. The problem I am having is finding cards that do not stick out and will fit behind the cover.
Jim202

Re: Help with wireless card for Panasonic CF-29

Post by Jim202 »

All the cards I have ever used and seen being used on the CF family have an external antenna that flips up.
Going to a USB wireless device is even more on the sticking out problem.

I would say that your use will always involve some sort of device or part of that device sticking out. Your
going to have to live with it.

There are external boxes that connect to the computer via a USB cable. These boxes then have a connector
for an external antenna that is mounted on the roof of a vehicle. Many public safety agencies have gone
to this style package.

Good luck on you search.

Jim

Cam wrote:For whatever reason a few of my companies CF-29 are set up like they were for SBC where instead of the cell card being a part of the "sled" that goes in the right side of the notebook, they used a standard PCMCIA card in the upper slot with the rf cable plugged in to it and a metal cover over the whole thing. All this is inside the plastic door. The problem I am having is finding cards that do not stick out and will fit behind the cover.
Cam
Batboard $upporter

Re: Help with wireless card for Panasonic CF-29

Post by Cam »

I can't remember what card shipped with these but it wasn't 3G so it really doesn't matter. I see that Sierra used to make the 860 which looks like it will work but they don't make one now that will. I guess I'll try an 860 just to see, I hope the ant. jack is the same.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”