New Motorola Cp110

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

radioservice

New Motorola Cp110

Post by radioservice »

Hi,

I see there is a new Motorola Cp110 on the market. 2 watts 2 channels, VHF or UHF and programmable.

At the same time this radio entered the market, another radio, the Motorola RDX series came out with similar looking radios, but limited to 89 preloaded frequencies.

Is there a chance that the software for the Cp110 will work with the RDX series?

Another obvious difference in the two models is the ability to screw on/off antennas...it appears as though the RDX is fixed, and the CP110 is changeable. You would think that that could be altered if need be. Could it?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: New Motorola Cp110

Post by escomm »

RDX is sold through distributors and wholesalers ala Grainger and Home Depot Supply.

CP110 is sold through the indirect (dealer) channel.

Doubtful that the software is interchangeable out of the box.

Parts are probably somewhat interchangeable as well.

Seems as though this is the same brotherhood as the CP100 and XTN series portables.
Railroad Spectra
New User

Post by Railroad Spectra »

Strangely enough for an /\/\ product, the RDX CPS is available as a FREE download at http://business.motorola.com/hellomoto/rdx/ . The RDX has a USB port for programming.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Clicking on that Motorola link does not get me to any kind
of "free" software. The only thing I see on all the pages there
are sales blurbs. Care to tell us how you got a CPS download
for free?
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Skip the intro, then click resources, there will be a link for Customer Programming Software about 1/2 way down the page.
radioservice

Post by radioservice »

I guess I'd like to get back to the original question....will this software for the CP110 work with the RDX series?
rhanan
New User

Post by rhanan »

The RDX 4 and 5 Watt UHF & VHF units have a removable antenna. Both come with the avability of the 89 "preloaded" channel selectability on the unit or programmable with the free software. They are also fully programmable to any frequency within its range that is not preloaded. This must be done by a dealer and will not work with the free software. In other words, you can program it yourself on the unit or with a computer if you want one of the 89 channels.

The unit can still be programmed to any other frequency within its range by a dealer and it can also be programmed to scan police, fire, public works, railroad, etc frequencies for monitoring in its UHF range by the dealer. This is done by the dealer selecting "repeater mode" for a channel and then inputting a scanned frequency in the RECEIVE frequency table and a generic frequency in the TRANSMIT frequency table so as to inhibit the ability to reply to official goverment transmits or unauthorized frequencies which you want to monitor only. This is very handy and commonly not even thought of as an option of the radio. The other channel frequencies which you talk "2 way" on remain in TALKABOUT mode or transmit and receive on the same frequency.

The unit also is repeater capable but this too must be programmed by the dealer. One word on the USB cable. A standard USB cable will not work. You MUST use the motorola USB programming cable. Also the unit must be programmed in the charging cradle. There is no port for a programming cable on the units exterior.

The free software works well but is pretty lame. It would have been much better if a standard USB cable was an option and if you were able to do a little more with the software, like program repeater mode or different transmit and receive frequencies and even the ability to program ANY frequency you choose within its range. It has the aility, why not let customers control 100% of the radio?

The radios work very well. The UHF 4 watt / 16 channel is transmitting 5 to 6 miles line of site with good clear audio easy. In the car at distances of 1.5 to 2 miles it suffers greatly. Out of the car use is optimal. The supplied antenna works well but is large for covert/discreet operation and looks weird because the unit is so small. The stubby antenna is my favorite option for this unit when working less than a mile or two apart. Great radio overall.
Karfield

Post by Karfield »

Answer to your CPS question is No. The CP110 cps is different from the RDX cps.
radioservice

Post by radioservice »

Thank you...!
n2rld
What radios do you own?: Ht1250,MTX9250,XPR6550,MCS2000

Post by n2rld »

Ok lets look at this from a pure software matter, I think Motorola only wrote One ver on the software for the RTX and the CP110 I opened up the RTX exe file with Resource Hacker ( A free Program ) and I see reference to the cp110 and a lot of other things in the string table it shows
432, "MHz"
433, "%s KHz"
434, "%s KHz"
435, "No PL/DPL code"
436, "Model"
437, "RDX"
438, "EP150"
439, "XTNi"
441, "CP110"

so i'm thinking that it may be possible to find the right place in the software to turn on all of the features in the cps for the CP110 and the Latin America EP150 or the UK and Ireland XTNi

What does everyone else think
Karl N2RLD
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

n2rld wrote: What does everyone else think
I think you are on to something
jamesm
New User

Post by jamesm »

does this free software download work for the motorola cp 110 and does anyone know if it is a standard usb cable .or it it a special one?

thanks james my email is jamesm@yucca.net
n2rld
What radios do you own?: Ht1250,MTX9250,XPR6550,MCS2000

Post by n2rld »

no it will not work for a cp110 and it is not a standerd usb cable
Karl N2RLD
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

escomm wrote:RDX is sold through distributors and wholesalers ala Grainger and Home Depot Supply.

CP110 is sold through the indirect (dealer) channel.

Doubtful that the software is interchangeable out of the box.

Parts are probably somewhat interchangeable as well.

Seems as though this is the same brotherhood as the CP100 and XTN series portables.
A few years back there was this scenario: Grainger sold a Motorola Spirit HP that came pre-programmed with Red Dot and Purple dot repeating around the dial with 5 different PL's for what they called '10 channels'. It was in reality a SP50+ and the RSS worked. Before that Price Club sold a PC10 model that was exactly a SP10 but in a different color and about an inch longer.
Don't know about the CP110 / RDX radios but similar relationships have existed before.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”