RIB wall AC adapter ?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jimba75

RIB wall AC adapter ?

Post by Jimba75 »

Hi folks, I've lost my wall wart AC adapter for my OEM 4008 RIB. I can't find anywhere the voltage or the barrel size/polarity. I assume its 9 volt, but I really don't want to assume anythng. Any ideas ? (i don't seem to find a replacement on MOL either)

Thanks !
Jim
Einstein

Re: RIB wall AC adapter ?

Post by Einstein »

Jimba75 wrote:Hi folks, I've lost my wall wart AC adapter for my OEM 4008 RIB. I can't find anywhere the voltage or the barrel size/polarity. I assume its 9 volt, but I really don't want to assume anythng. Any ideas ? (i don't seem to find a replacement on MOL either)

Thanks !
Jim

My original wall wart is a 9v 100mA center is +
I believe the plug is 3.5mm
The schematic is showing 12v input.
Last part number I have for the wall wart is 01-80357A57
moztas

Post by moztas »

I use a desktop charger of Motorola portable radio's AC adaptor for my RIB without any problem for some years. The plug and voltage fit.

You may use a 9 - 13.8V DC output adaptor.
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

After seeing the progress of this thread, as well as the older thread that Jack listed, it seems to me that unless you have a UPS connected to your wall wart used to power the RIB you're better off using the 9-volt battery. If you don't own a UPS then the cost of batteries is pretty low compared to the chance of bricking your radio should the 120 volts to the wall wart suddenly go away. The current capacity/life of the 9-volt battery is only several hundred mA, but that RIB draws very little current, and as we all know the alkaline cell has a long shelf life, so a battery should last for quite a few "reads and writes" to your radio. It also helps if you shut off the RIB when it's not actually passing data.

Just a few thoughts so y'all can make your own decisions based on all the facts.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Sikdmax
New User

Post by Sikdmax »

Tom in D.C. wrote:After seeing the progress of this thread, as well as the older thread that Jack listed, it seems to me that unless you have a UPS connected to your wall wart used to power the RIB you're better off using the 9-volt battery. If you don't own a UPS then the cost of batteries is pretty low compared to the chance of bricking your radio should the 120 volts to the wall wart suddenly go away. The current capacity/life of the 9-volt battery is only several hundred mA, but that RIB draws very little current, and as we all know the alkaline cell has a long shelf life, so a battery should last for quite a few "reads and writes" to your radio. It also helps if you shut off the RIB when it's not actually passing data.

Just a few thoughts so y'all can make your own decisions based on all the facts.

x2. I would always use a fresh quality brand 9 volt battery, and watch that on/off switch! Best to remove the battery when you are ready to put it away.

Also the battery makes a great backup source if you are programming and have a 120volt power issue.

Return to “Radio Programming”