XTVA Mic Extension

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

SO_RSU12
New User

XTVA Mic Extension

Post by SO_RSU12 »

I am mounting an XTVA under the rear seat of a Z71 4-door truck. I am trying to run Cat-5 cable from the mic jack on the back of the XTVA, under the carpet and to the front of the cab, where I will connect the mic to a female connector. I can't seem to get the control head/mic to power up and I have checked my connectors to make sure 1=1 2=2 etc. Has anyone had any success with this or is there another type of wire I need to make extensions?
SO_RSU12
New User

Re: XTVA Mic Extension

Post by SO_RSU12 »

I have figured it out. We were able to make an extention using Cat-5 cable and retain all of the funtions of the control head for the XTVA. Just took a little time, patience and a DVOM.
rwo978
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Post by rwo978 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/OPC-440-Icom-Kenwoo ... 2a023ce9f0

Did it turn out something like this? I bought an XTVA, which I'm not 100% sold on. So, selling it to another guy I work with who's going to put it in his pickup, aka.. roomless. I'm sure he'll want an extention for the mic.

In otherwords, is it a CAT-5 cable, wired correctly at the plugs, with an adapter on the end?
Ryan
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Post by mikegilbert »

I used a Motorola handset extension cable from an America Series bagphone. The female receptacle has tow screw holes for secure mounting. I'll try and dig up a part #.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

mikegilbert wrote:I used a Motorola handset extension cable from an America Series bagphone. The female receptacle has tow screw holes for secure mounting. I'll try and dig up a part #.
Good luck. I use the same cables, and have dug for a part number many times, including an hour-plus call to parts ID. No dice - anything that might have been the right part is long since cancelled...

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”