Looking for suggestions - Network traffic generator.

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Looking for suggestions - Network traffic generator.

Post by JAYMZ »

Just looking for something that could work in place of the Cisco Pagent IOS in a lab environment for testing. Nothing terribly crazy, need to generate TCP and UDP streams like FTP, HTTP(S), VoIP, Video, ICMP(not required, I could just do a ping of death) for some QoS experimentation. With akardam's help this morning he suggested a linux solution but I am looking for something on Windows since that is where my simulation lab is set up.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Bill_G

Re: Looking for suggestions - Network traffic generator.

Post by Bill_G »

Have you tried some of the tools available from a search for network traffic generators? Sourceforge has a few. I use two exe's - a server client pair - that will do a simple continuous never ending file transfer. Fully destructive test. Proofs wireless bridges, routers, et al pretty quick after installation.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Yeah. Most of those are just a straight up TCP or UDP stream. Not both at once. I need a diverse amount of traffic to run through a virtual environment to test out QoS settings.

I am about ready to start looking at hacking Cisco Pagent to work virtually instead of being tied to particular hardware platforms.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Run two of the free apps at once - one udp, one tcp - and toss in a ping -t for good measure. It will be asymetrical, but should flood a system just fine.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”