AVL Options

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

twowaytekk

AVL Options

Post by twowaytekk »

I'm looking for AVL equipment for VHF high band. I know there are several aftermarket devices that require there own freq. Is there anything out there that would operate on the same voice channel, simultaneously? I have found Icom makes one for the F121, 221. I'm looking for something that can hook up to a MCS2000, if possible. If anyone there are dealers of such equipment let me know. I'm looking to outfit an entire fleet of about 15 vehicles.

Mark
Bill_G

Re: AVL Options

Post by Bill_G »

I'm not certain how Icom "piggybacks" mdc1200 (emdc in their terms) into an analog voice channel without interfering with traffic, but they claim they can. MDC is quite audible, but I haven't heard emdc. Other products will operate on a voice channel politely. ie: During human traffic, data transmissions stop. You just have to make a way to mute the rcvrs while polling is occurring and the mic is off hook. Everybody hates listening to the squawk.

Pryme claims to have an AVL product with an MCS2000 cable that will operate over a voice channel. They generally market good products. It would be worth investigating.

http://www.pryme.com/products/gpsproduct/GPS-4100M
twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

Thanks for the reply! This is just what I was looking for.

Mark
Batman914
New User

Post by Batman914 »

You can accomplish that with a Kenwood VHF radio with FleetSync. The radio can be set-up to automatically switch to a dedicated data channel (voice channel), send the update and switch back to voice. You can program the timed GPS updates, such as 2, 5 10 minute updates or whatever your needs are.
The voice communications can be programmed to override the data so the driver doesn't get cut out of a conversation if there is a timed update ready to send. You will miss that particular GPS update if that occurs. Kenwood makes an optional voice storage chip. Perhaps that could be used to store the GPS update and then send when the channel is clear. I'm not certain. My information is based on LTR trunking, it might be easier to accomplish your goal in a conventional mode.

If you go with a digital VHF radio from Motorola or Kenwood, you should be able to transmit your GPS inaudibly on top of any voice conversation

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”