XTL5000 Fail 01-90

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

John

XTL5000 Fail 01-90

Post by John »

I have a 800MHz XTL5000 that was working fine. I changed channel and the radio shut off and came back on. When it did it came up with a Fail 01-90. After a period of time it will put the control head in local mode. This is a personal radio. I tried swapping the control head with no help and verified the power leads have power. Any suggestions? I am guessing this means the radio is not powering up or not communicating with the head. Are there any internal fuses or somthing else I could check? Does anyone on the board know someone willing to repair one of these at a reasonable price? I bought it on the board but it doesn't have any labels.

John
GlennD

Re: XTL5000 Fail 01-90

Post by GlennD »

The control head can not talk to the trunk unit. Make sure that the rear unit has power and the control cable is firmly plugged in at both ends.

It is not likely a control head radio mismatch since it was working.
John

Post by John »

I should have mentioned this is a dash mount unit. I have tried another head and interconnect cable between the head and radio. No help.

John
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Try syncing the head and brick for grins and giggles
John

Post by John »

I tried a sync and it got up to about step 3 or 4 and said it failed. Something about unable to communicate with radio.
Karfield

Post by Karfield »

I just had a 2500 with the exact same issue. I spent a few hours trying to determine if the brick was powering up or not. Most I was able to do was to verify that the brick had DC where it was supposed to have it. Your brick probably died but just for giggles there is a fuse (lease in the 2500 line) that is near where the control head plugs in (can't miss it looks like the GP350 fuse). Other than that I'd say the oscillator is jacked but I didn't look that far. I sent mine into the depot and unfortunately they will likely swap the brick so I'll never know what the root cause was.

Also, just like your case I had a working radio but when I powered it down and back up it went to the 01/90 stage. Silly me didn't read the radio when I had the chance.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

I get about one a month of these. Most of the time it is a failure in the control head.

If syncing doesn't work (and pay CLOSE attention to which type of cable to use) you will have to ship it.

Remember that Moto Astro25 radios are best synced and flashed with a SERIAL cable. Even the factory recommends that. Here's a hint: If the Fail 01-90 is caused by a problem with the USB protocol, do you think a USB programming cable will be any help???
John

Post by John »

I checked the internal fuse. No help. I am not sure how to sync the radio and head when it fails saying it can't talk with the radio. Should I try to continue? It appears that would only talk with the head and not the radio. I have tried 2 heads. I have been using the USB cable but have tried USB connected to the back accy jack and front connector.

Can anyone recommend someone for repair? I am afraid to send it back to the depot since it doesn't have tags on it.

John
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Try ONLY with a serial cable. The serial cable and the software CAN bypass the head entirely and talk to the radio, regardless of the configuration. Connect a SERIAL programming cable to the front GCAI (mike) connector and run the control head sync software from the CPS.

I am sure someone can fix this for you. Keep asking. You are too far away from me, although there are a few good guys on the West Coast that could probably take care of you.
John

Post by John »

I finally got a serial to GCAI cable and tried the control head sync again. Still no help. Gets up to about block 6 and then says unable to communicate with radio. After entering a firmware version you can continue and it says successful but still no communication between head and radio. Only shows Fail 01-90 and then Local Mode on the head. Any other ideas?

John
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Break the remote head apart, mount it as dash and then see if that solves the problem and if you can sync it then

I once had a radio that would NOT work in remote mode, gave me fail 01/90s all day long, made it a dash mount and it worked great... Wasn't worth the $399 flat rate to fix it...
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

I had a 5k that wouldn't remote, bought it off a fella on this board, hmmmmmm.

I fixed mine, with a new board. My problem was in the multi-layer board, your problem may be the same, it would take about an hour on the bench to find out.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

spectragod wrote:I had a 5k that wouldn't remote, bought it off a fella on this board, hmmmmmm.
Yep, you bought one from me, for $600 off and full disclosure the radio didn't work in remote mode. Considering the price of a new board, even if you bought it from /\/\, I'd say you still came out ahead 8)
John

Post by John »

This radio already is a dash mount so it isn't a remote issue.

John
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Time for a flat rate.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

escomm wrote:
spectragod wrote:I had a 5k that wouldn't remote, bought it off a fella on this board, hmmmmmm.
Yep, you bought one from me, for $600 off and full disclosure the radio didn't work in remote mode. Considering the price of a new board, even if you bought it from /\/\, I'd say you still came out ahead 8)
Oh absolutely, it was a deal. And I knew going into it that it wouldn't work remote mounted. It all worked out.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”