HT1250 firmware update gone bad

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

joes243

HT1250 firmware update gone bad

Post by joes243 »

My computer blue screened in the middle of a firmware update of a HT1250. Now the radio is stuck in bootstrap mode. The update software and the cps can not read the radio. I tried to start the update with a good radio then connect the bad. The update does some "downloading" then says it's a different model (even though they are the exact same model). Does anyone have any ideas or is sending it to M the only way to fix it?

Thanks!
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Re: HT1250 firmware update gone bad

Post by HLA »

technically they are different model numbers now, the program first erases the eprom so right now there is no model number in it so the computer thinks they are different. and it's not stuck in bootstrap mode, it just basically has no operating system in it and don't know what to do when you turn it on. simplest solution is send in in to motorola and it will come back fixed with the latest firmware. normally i wouldn't say screw around with a good radion but in this case you have nothing to lose, i've read about the Y cable trick but never tried it but somebody else may know another way
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
joes243

Post by joes243 »

Yea, I read about the Y cable on here, but I don't have ribless cables. I do have 2 programming cables (not ribless), but it said the process won't work with a rib. I tried making a Y type flash adapter, but as soon as i hooked up 2 radios to it, the update failed. Looking at the schematic for the programming cable Tx and Rx data are both pin 15. So there is no way to make one radio Rx only. Maybe I can block pin 9 (tx) on bad radio?
smile@2006
What radios do you own?: XTS2500 XTL2500 ATS2500

Post by smile@2006 »

Simple trick to fix it.
Equipment:
- Radio Interface Box, P/N RLN4008
- Programming/test cable, P/N RKN4074A or RIBless programming cable, P/N RKN4075A
- Flash adapter, P/N HLN9742.
- Good radio (master).
- Bad radio (slave).

Procedure:
1. Start the Firmware Kit.
2. Connect a fully charged battery or a power supply to the radio (master) and turn the radio on.
3. Attach the programming cable to your portable radio (master).
Connect the programming cable to the computer or RIB through the flashing adapter (HLN9742B).
Ensure the flashing adapter is set to the "OFF" position.
4. After the tool is launched and only on the first attempt of updating, the flash Baud rate configuration dialog box will appear. The default baud rate
is 19,200. Select if you want to use the default value or you can select a baud rate and then click on the button.
5. Don't click "OK".
6. Remove the master.
7. Replace with slave (radio on & flashing kit on/boostrap mode).
8. Click "OK".
9. See what happend....
10. Try several times, if radio still error.
nick.dejohn
What radios do you own?: EX560-XLS CDM1550

Post by nick.dejohn »

I have an HT1250 VHF Full Keypad stuck in boot strap also. I have tried to recover it with a HT1250 VHF Limited Keypad and it will not work. I'm wondering if it is because of the difference in models (limited keypad vs. full keypad) or am I doing something wrong?

Looking for suggestions on what to do.

Thanks,
Nick
Nick
Andreas
What radios do you own?: radios

Post by Andreas »

You can also try to fix it,with the unofficial US Waris Lab Upgradekit.
I hope,you´ve saved the tuning data,before the radio crashed!

Andreas
nick.dejohn

Post by nick.dejohn »

Andreas wrote:You can also try to fix it,with the unofficial US Waris Lab Upgradekit.

Andreas

I didnt save the tuning data. What is the US Waris Lab Upgrade Kit? I can have it tuned once I have it back up and running.

Thanks,
Nick
Nick
Andreas
What radios do you own?: radios

Post by Andreas »

It´s homemade stuff to dump in a new codeplug and flash firmware.

Andreas
nick.dejohn

Post by nick.dejohn »

Andreas wrote:It´s homemade stuff to dump in a new codeplug and flash firmware.

Andreas

Where can I acquire it?
Nick
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

A buddy of mine bought it off Ebay. lmfao
nick.dejohn

Post by nick.dejohn »

smile@2006 wrote:Simple trick to fix it.
Equipment:
- Radio Interface Box, P/N RLN4008
- Programming/test cable, P/N RKN4074A or RIBless programming cable, P/N RKN4075A
- Flash adapter, P/N HLN9742.
- Good radio (master).
- Bad radio (slave).

Procedure:
1. Start the Firmware Kit.
2. Connect a fully charged battery or a power supply to the radio (master) and turn the radio on.
3. Attach the programming cable to your portable radio (master).
Connect the programming cable to the computer or RIB through the flashing adapter (HLN9742B).
Ensure the flashing adapter is set to the "OFF" position.
4. After the tool is launched and only on the first attempt of updating, the flash Baud rate configuration dialog box will appear. The default baud rate
is 19,200. Select if you want to use the default value or you can select a baud rate and then click on the button.
5. Don't click "OK".
6. Remove the master.
7. Replace with slave (radio on & flashing kit on/boostrap mode).
8. Click "OK".
9. See what happend....
10. Try several times, if radio still error.
I have done this over and over and I get that I have a different model detected when in deed they are the same model number. NOW WHAT?????
Nick
nick.dejohn

Post by nick.dejohn »

nick.dejohn wrote:
Andreas wrote:You can also try to fix it,with the unofficial US Waris Lab Upgradekit.

Andreas

I didnt save the tuning data. What is the US Waris Lab Upgrade Kit? I can have it tuned once I have it back up and running.

Thanks,
Nick
Acquired this as well and this did not help me.
Nick
Micor

Post by Micor »

joes243 wrote:Yea, I read about the Y cable on here, but I don't have ribless cables. I do have 2 programming cables (not ribless), but it said the process won't work with a rib. I tried making a Y type flash adapter, but as soon as i hooked up 2 radios to it, the update failed. Looking at the schematic for the programming cable Tx and Rx data are both pin 15. So there is no way to make one radio Rx only. Maybe I can block pin 9 (tx) on bad radio?
I have tried the swap trick over and over withWin95 PC no luck. Any help on locating post on Y Cable?
Thanks
tztop10
What radios do you own?: HT1250 EX600XLS CDM1250 CP200

Post by tztop10 »

try to read the radio in CPS and you should get an error that it is corrupt, it will ask you if you want to rewrite with factory. (This is as long as you have an EPROM error)

Return to “Radio Programming”