MCS2000 radio will not key up in conv. mode

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Dogwelder

MCS2000 radio will not key up in conv. mode

Post by Dogwelder »

I have a MCS2000 model I radio (900mhz) that was used on a trunked system. Now I have converted it for use on the ham band, but after I programmed the frequencies into conventional personalities, the radio will not key on any of the new channels. Any ideas?
One toke, you poor fool? Wait till you see those goddamn bats!
motorola_otaku

Re: MCS2000 radio will not key up in conv. mode

Post by motorola_otaku »

Does it do anything when you press the PTT? Bonk? Fail 001? If not, then go into Switch Programming under Radio Wide and make sure the ignition sense line is not set to TX Inhibit or PTT TX Inhibit.
Dogwelder

Post by Dogwelder »

No bonking or anything, I checked under radio-wide and the ignition switch is set to "blank".
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

And you're absolutely sure it worked in trunking.. like, you saw it work personally? I've put three separate MCS radios on 902-928 in both 12 and 25 MHz splits and have not encountered the problem you're having. I have seen one go FAIL 001 while outside in cold weather on 902 frequencies, but it worked in-band and 902 came back when it warmed up.

Just to completely rule out any hardware issues, try it on a 896/935 test pair and a 935 simplex test frequency. If it works there but still does absolutely nothing on 902-928 then you have encountered a truly odd issue.
Dogwelder

Post by Dogwelder »

Yes, I saw this radio personally work in trunking mode. I even had the original system still programmed into it (out of range of course) and keyed up, only to get a "bonk". I tried what you suggested, simplex and default conventional mode and I still get nothing.
Dogwelder

Post by Dogwelder »

Hold on a tic, I just re-programmed the original template back into the radio, and now I don't get any bonk or anything on the original trunking system when i try to key up.!
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

Check your mike, check the accessory connector.
steve220
New User

Post by steve220 »

Hello,

As strange as this sounds, I had a number of dash mount MCS 2000's with the same condition.....no PTT. Changing the volume control/ power switch cured the problem on every radio ! Never did any more investigation as to why it worked but seeings believing . So if all else fails change the V.C. P/N for the part is 18-66500A02. Good luck

Steve

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”