XTL error bonk. Any ideas?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb4sj
New User

XTL error bonk. Any ideas?

Post by kb4sj »

I have an XTL O5 dash-mount configured as a base radio.

When I power it up, I get the power-up tone beep (high), followed by a lower "bonk". No error is displayed on the screen. Radio operation is also fine. The low bonk does not persist after the power-up.

Here are some details:

- Secure radio. Keys loaded. No keyfail issues.
- Pins 14/15 on accessory connector are jumpered for emergency switch (normally closed).
- Ignition wire is connected, but not configured (blank) in CPS.
- Power supply voltage measured at 13.87VDC

Firmware;
- Host: 15.00.00
- DSP: 15.00.00
- UCM: 05.07.10
- CH: 11.00.00

CPS does not show any invalid fields.

Any ideas?
resqguy911

Re: XTL error bonk. Any ideas?

Post by resqguy911 »

Is it configured for scan in the mode that is selected upon powerup?
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
kb4sj
New User

Post by kb4sj »

Thanks for your quick reply.

No, no scan. And the error bonk is very short in duration. Maybe 100ms at most. Like pressing a non-programmed button on the radio. (There are no sticky keys, either. hah hah)
kb4sj
New User

Post by kb4sj »

I tried a control head sync (exhausting all other options) and got the following error message:

"No matching control head software was found for the radio version: R150000. Please get the correction Synchronization file. The latest version of the Synchronization file can be found on Motorola On Line web site."

And I looked on MOL, and there's no file(s) matching this suggestion. Any ideas? I'm running R15.00.00 CPS. Anyone else have the same problem?
kb4sj
New User

Post by kb4sj »

OK, problem solved. I apologize for the numerous posts, but I don't have the option of going back and editing anything as my posts are moderated (??)

I swapped control heads with a different radio. It had CH firmware 8.10.01. The error bonk has gone away.

So it would appear the CH firmware 11.00.00 is bad or otherwise mismatched. Sure wish Moto would update their website with a new file.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Did this occur after the upgrade with the same codeplug? I've seen this where there was a feature/button assigned to something that the current mode couldn't have/illegal option so to speak (as mentioned, scan without a valid scan list, etc)
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

kb4sj wrote:So it would appear the CH firmware 11.00.00 is bad or otherwise mismatched. Sure wish Moto would update their website with a new file.
Odd, Motorola has included the CH sync files with CPS since version 12 or so. Check your upgrade directory in the Astro25 Mobile directory and see if it is in fact there. If it's there then it might be corrupted. Or maybe they forgot to include the up-revved sync file, you're not the first one to have sync issues when going to R15 firmware. Some folks had some issues with O3 heads not syncing as well.

Return to “Radio Programming”