Recovering data from a deleted partition?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Recovering data from a deleted partition?

Post by Pj »

Ok, went to install a fresh copy of XP on my C drive. In the process I "deleted" drive D in the windows XP setup. Drive D is a single partition on a sep physical drive (wasn't one on the C drive).

I see there are a bunch of utilities out there and meathods, but not sure which one is the best. Drive shows up as unformatted in windows and in EASEUS Partition Recovery (free edition).

I have not touched the drive since I made the oops...and would really like the files on there!
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
tuckerm

Re: Recovering data from a deleted partition?

Post by tuckerm »

I've used EASEUS Partition Recovery before and it's worked for me. That's probably going to be your best bet.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Ended up using a gnu based utility that recovered most of the files. All good now..time to go back to my "unplug everything" before installed meathod.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Encase.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

You should use a free imaging software (such as DriveXML) to back up your "data" partition to an external hard drive. That way, if something fails or dies, you still have an image you can restore to a new drive.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

tuckerm wrote:You should use a free imaging software (such as DriveXML) to back up your "data" partition to an external hard drive. That way, if something fails or dies, you still have an image you can restore to a new drive.
Yup...TrueImage works great as well.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Get a copy of Hiren's Boot CD. Several imaging and data recovery utilities on there.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

BartPE has many imaging options and other utilities you can build in to a boot disk for situations like this. I still prefer Symantec Ghost over all though.

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”