MCS2000 Remote head problem - Need help

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

sheldon

MCS2000 Remote head problem - Need help

Post by sheldon »

I have a high power MCS2000 remote head model II radio with a DTMF mic.

During programming I assign functions to the programmable buttons on both the remote head and also the DTMF mic. I write the codeplug into the radio with no problems.

When I reconnect the mic to the radio once it has restarted I test the buttons and none of them operate as programmed.

An example - The remote head button "Zone" is programmed with the "Zone" option in the CPS but when pressed, switches from Talkaround to Direct and vice versa. Some buttons do not operate at all despite programming.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing these problems?
Jim202

Re: MCS2000 Remote head problem - Need help

Post by Jim202 »

sheldon wrote:I have a high power MCS2000 remote head model II radio with a DTMF mic.

During programming I assign functions to the programmable buttons on both the remote head and also the DTMF mic. I write the codeplug into the radio with no problems.

When I reconnect the mic to the radio once it has restarted I test the buttons and none of them operate as programmed.

An example - The remote head button "Zone" is programmed with the "Zone" option in the CPS but when pressed, switches from Talkaround to Direct and vice versa. Some buttons do not operate at all despite programming.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing these problems?

You need to understand the non logical way that the software geeks at Motorola think or don't think as is the case most of the time. The button functions are dependent on how the radio frequencies and use are set up. if you have a simplex frequency programmed, then the T/A button will do nothing. If you programmed in a zone button, unless you have the radio set up for zones, that button won't work either.

There is also a difference in programming between conventional and trunking. The button may not even have the ability to provide that function dependent on how the radio was programmed. You also have to tell the radio in the software that if you have a repeater channel that the talk around or direct function is available. Just adding the button won't make it work.

Jim
Motoboy
What radios do you own?: HT1250 I saved from the dump

Post by Motoboy »

Is this the same radio you were having problems with last month? Did you try all of the suggestions given?

Reference: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94626

/\/\b
"I don't have a driver's license, either, and that never got me in trouble!" ~Customer
sheldon

Post by sheldon »

thanks for the reply but i know how the radio is programmed and what features should work when programmed into the buttons. I have multiple zones programmed and the button still does not work along with every other function thats programmed into the radio head. Any other ideas guys?
sheldon

Post by sheldon »

Motoboy wrote:Is this the same radio you were having problems with last month? Did you try all of the suggestions given?

Reference: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=94626

/\/\b
Yes, it is the same radio and i did try all the suggestions with no results so im seeking more help if possible.
jmr061
was KB9KST

Post by jmr061 »

What is the firmware version?

Would you share the codeplug for review?

Jason
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

I'm with kb9kst, this sounds like an old firmware or possibly a hacked codeplug issue.

If your firmware version is 01.xx or 02.xx it needs to be bumped, period. It's also not a good idea to touch radios that old with Windows CPS without a firmware bump first.
sheldon

Post by sheldon »

Ok, SERVICE MODE from the radio in question is:

R05.42
CNTLHD20
M01RLM9PW6BN
623AAUxxxx
FLASHCODE
000001-000000-9

If any members would like a copy of the codeplug to diagnose the problem, please PM me with contact details and I will forward a copy of it to you.
sheldon

Post by sheldon »

anyone? So far nothing has solved the problem im having.
MasterMarine

Post by MasterMarine »

Did you find a resolution to this problem? I have a similar issue with several radios we just bought used.

I read one and built a new codeplug from one of our existing ones. I wrote it into the radio I started with and found the buttons do not do what they are supposed to. I cloned 3 more radios with the codeplug and they do the same thing. I read one of the cloned radios and all of the buttons are programmed to do what I want but that is not what they do. For example, the Zone button (upper next to volume knob) acts like home. The Call (below display to the right) acts like Zone Down. The radios are Model 2 Highpower MCS2000 900Mhz.

I am trying to get these radios programmed up and then tuned so we can decide if we are keeping them or not. Any help would be appreciated.

I have done some searching but am not finding any posts other than this one realting to this problem.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”