Headset for XTL series radios

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Headset for XTL series radios

Post by N4DES »

We have a situation where we have control stations set up in some trailers they get deployed to certain areas of the County after a major incident and currently have them stored in go-boxes, etc. and after our last drill it was mentioned that the operators had issues hearing the audio out of the XTL1500's and a query was sent to me about purchasing headsets for the control station/mobile radios.

What I'm looking for is somthing that isn't very complex to assemble, nothing any more complex than plugging the microphone into the front or the accessory plug on the back. Does anyone make such an animal? If it is just for RX audio that would satisfy the need as well and they could just use the hand mic, but it must be simple to assemble as a non-technical person would be putting it together.

We discussed the idea of putting a headphone jack at the side of the desk tray, but a retrofit would be a last resort.

Any ideas guys?
Mark
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Headset for XTL series radios

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Mark,

Perhaps the simplest approach would be to provide a short cable adapter that would match up a listen-only headset (no mic)
with the standard gray cable speaker output that comes out of the multipin plug on the back of the XTL. You might have to
extend the gray cable to bring it "out front" but that wouldn't add much, if any, complexity to the task.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
resqguy911

Post by resqguy911 »

Well, it isn't cheap- but I think this will do what you want http://www.firecom.com/products/intercoms/110.php
"TDMA = digital and same great taste, half the bits"
N4DES
was KS4VT

Post by N4DES »

Thanks guys,

Tom that is probably the route I am going to go with, that being the headset would be only for the RX audio and the installation of a jack on the speaker tray. The operator would utilize the hand mic to TX and would not have a boom mic attached to the headset.

I wasn't going to look for any 3rd party connections as those assembling the radios wouldn't be very technical and it is difficult enough for them to find the keyway for the XTL mic to fit on the radio correctly, so the firecom device won't work out for us.

Thanks
Mark
wd9cms

Post by wd9cms »

Mark,

If you have remote head O5 XTL5000's order the cable in this post and you can just plug in headphones which will also mute the external speaker. http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=90515

Bill
Bill, WD9CMS
444.775 PL131.8/NAC293
927.900 PL131.9/NAC293
N4DES
was KS4VT

Post by N4DES »

They are dashmount XLT1500 and 2500's. I guess I neglected to put that in the original post.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”