Minitor V Not Opening Squelch

This forum is focused on discussing Digital and Voice paging equipment, protocol's, infrastructure, and Motorola specific hardware used. Please refrain from discussing different ways to monitor the digital paging systems due to the legalities of such.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Lubecktech
New User

Minitor V Not Opening Squelch

Post by Lubecktech »

Over the past year I have noticed a common problem with the Minitor V pagers. The squelch won't open either after alert or on a monitor position - we have seen about 25 of these. The reciever has normal sensitivity and sounds good when the reset button is pressed. I have been able to repair about 50% of the Minitor 5 pages that come in to our shop but this one always goes to Motorola. I believe the same part or data corruption is responsible in all of these failures. Has anyone ever resolved this problem to the component (or corrective software) level?? Working with these pagers without a manual or even a poor schematic is frustrating.
northstarfire0693
What radios do you own?: MTS 2000, HT 1250, MV

Re: Minitor V Not Opening Squelch

Post by northstarfire0693 »

Mine does the same thing. I have no clue what the problem is
Lubecktech
New User

Post by Lubecktech »

I work for a one of the top Motorola dealers in WV and while this is a very common problem. The only current solution is return the pager to Motorola . We would like to be able to repair the problem in-house but Motorola will not make repair parts or service information available. The sad part is the pagers are shipped to MEXICO as Motorola believes it is better to deprive Americans of jobs and economic opportunities. Our main economic problem in this country is our economy is bleeding to death because of stupidity like this. They believe it better to support the Mexican economy than to let US companies repair them here.
Al

Post by Al »

The saddest part of all is that Motorola is only concerned about *their* bottom line and shareholders' demands for constant improvement in same. M could farm repairs out to an independent U.S. company, but their profit would evaporate because they can only reasonably charge the customer so much for repair before customers chuck the M brand and go with someone else who will support failures at a reasonable cost.
If you were a FM licensed repair station, I'd bet that M would make parts and schematics available to you at nominal cost. Since the Vs are FM, just opening them without a retest after repair voids the FM rating.
Tron
What radios do you own?: Too many to list

Post by Tron »

Just being curious, how are these units tested for FM rating?

Tron
"Where the Old Soo crosses the New Soo, Duplainville, Wisconsin"

Return to “Motorola Digital and Voice Paging”