CDM1250 non-permanent mounting solution

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jchapman
New User
What radios do you own?: HT1550XLS (UHF), XTS2000 (UHF)

CDM1250 non-permanent mounting solution

Post by jchapman »

I would like to install a CDM1250 in my 2010 Toyota Corolla LE, without drilling any holes or causing any kind of damage to the vehicle.

I have a 25-watt CDM1250 (UHF), to be powered by an OEM cigarette lighter adapter (HKN9407A) and connected to an OEM trunk lip mount with a Laird quarterwave whip. The only logical place to install the radio is against the center console on the passenger side. However, I do not wish to drill any holes for the mounting bracket. I've tried using various adhesive products from 3M and RadioShack, all of which have only held the radio for a few days or not at all.

The problem with the adhesives seems to be a combination of the hot weather outside and the fact that the side of the center console is slightly curved (just enough that the entire surface won't make contact with the side of the console). Also, I can't use a large portion of the bottom of the radio to attach the adhesives because of the heatsink array.

Does anyone have any ideas besides giving up and just drilling the mounting bracket?
Jim202

Re: CDM1250 non-permanent mounting solution

Post by Jim202 »

jchapman wrote:I would like to install a CDM1250 in my 2010 Toyota Corolla LE, without drilling any holes or causing any kind of damage to the vehicle.

I have a 25-watt CDM1250 (UHF), to be powered by an OEM cigarette lighter adapter (HKN9407A) and connected to an OEM trunk lip mount with a Laird quarterwave whip. The only logical place to install the radio is against the center console on the passenger side. However, I do not wish to drill any holes for the mounting bracket. I've tried using various adhesive products from 3M and RadioShack, all of which have only held the radio for a few days or not at all.

The problem with the adhesives seems to be a combination of the hot weather outside and the fact that the side of the center console is slightly curved (just enough that the entire surface won't make contact with the side of the console). Also, I can't use a large portion of the bottom of the radio to attach the adhesives because of the heatsink array.

Does anyone have any ideas besides giving up and just drilling the mounting bracket?

First of all, the cigaret lighter power feed is not a very good idea. They are not made to supply the current that many of the radios today require in transmit. The wires feeding these sockets is small and as such will produce voltage drop as the current being pulled goes up. The UHF CDM1250 is rated for 8 amps in TX.

Your much better off installing a normal power cable for them and if needed use the accessory connector to bring in the ignition wire to be able to turn the radio off and on with the vehicle ignition.

Your on your own for the mounting issue. Every person has to deal with this in their own vehicle. Each is different and there is no single way that is better than another.

Jim
jchapman
New User

Post by jchapman »

Jim202 wrote:First of all, the cigaret lighter power feed is not a very good idea. They are not made to supply the current that many of the radios today require in transmit. The wires feeding these sockets is small and as such will produce voltage drop as the current being pulled goes up. The UHF CDM1250 is rated for 8 amps in TX.
I know it's not the ideal setup, but I rarely use it to transmit and I haven't had any problems with it yet. The first CDM1250 I had refused to transmit 30 watts using the adapter (I had to back it down to 15 watts), but I had it replaced (for an unrelated problem) and the new one works just fine at full power.
Jim202 wrote:Your much better off installing a normal power cable for them and if needed use the accessory connector to bring in the ignition wire to be able to turn the radio off and on with the vehicle ignition.
Agreed. I'm not very experienced with custom wiring and electrical systems, so I was trying to stay away from it if at all possible. It sounds like this may be the way to go.
Jim202 wrote:Your on your own for the mounting issue. Every person has to deal with this in their own vehicle. Each is different and there is no single way that is better than another.
I'm well aware that each vehicle is different, but the challenges due to the design of the radio is the same regardless of the vehicle. I just wanted to see if anyone else with the same problem had any helpful suggestions. Nothing I have tried works for any length of time, so I may just have to drill.

Thanks Jim!
jchapman
New User

Post by jchapman »

I just had a thought...

I could just get a remote mount kit and mount the control head next to the center console and the radio under the right passenger seat. That would certainly eliminate most of the weight, so I could probably continue to use the heavy duty adhesive.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”