Geting XTL5k to go out of band?

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

ILuvXMRadio
What radios do you own?: Plenty

Geting XTL5k to go out of band?

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

Can I get this XTL5k to go down into the ham band? If so how far could I get?

M20SSS9PW1AN

Just curious how much below 450 I could get the radio.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Geting XTL5k to go out of band?

Post by escomm »

440 for RX no problem
ILuvXMRadio

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

What about TX?
ILuvXMRadio

Post by ILuvXMRadio »

Transmit in the 440s? Will CPS allow this modification or does this require a codeplug hack?
rad2085

Post by rad2085 »

You will need to hex edit the CPS to allow you to program the radio that far down. Not sure if it will TX or not, you will just need to try it. I know with the UHF R1 XTL's will program to 478 instead of the 470. SOme radio's will TX and others will not, they just come up with a fail message. I wish I knew why this was but i'm not too sure.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

It depends on the VCO tolerance in the radio. Some end up being able to lock in a wide margin, some just within the published spec. This has been true for most of the Motorola radios (typically they will work much wider and lock, but not the rule). The GE/MA-COM/Harris radios tend to unlock a 1mhz or so outside of their rated splits.

I had an ASTRO Saber way back in the day that would work 403-520 on TX/RX. I never put it on a monitor to see what I was actually getting for power out etc, but it never when into fail001.

So in short, its the luck of the draw.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
simoco
New User
What radios do you own?: MTS2000

Post by simoco »

This is something I would like to know how to stop the xtl from fail 001, Is it the FGU hardware mod that needs to be adjusted?
Because no mod to CPS will fix this problem, maybe someone out there can shine some light on this problem.

Q split TX UHF CB ..... or maybe a Mod to TUNE or TuneA
Thomas
What radios do you own?: MCS2K,CDM1250,XTS3000,XTL2500

Post by Thomas »

I did this mod to my XTL2500 S split and it works fine. P25 tx down to 440 no issues.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”