Dell Desktop Sound Card Problem

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Dell Desktop Sound Card Problem

Post by Tom in D.C. »

I have a Dell Dimension B110 desktop that for some reason loses its sound capability every so often. It requires a restart to get the sound going again, then it's fine for a few days until it happens again. Does anyone have any ideas or advice on how to cure this?
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
tuckerm

Re: Dell Desktop Sound Card Problem

Post by tuckerm »

Have you tried updating the drivers? Any recent hardware changes? My guess would be a bad sound card or drivers.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Any automatic updates lately? My HP laptop sound acted up after a recent update. I had to back out.
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I'm set up for automatic updates from Microsoft, but I'm running XP Home and I honestly don't know if Microsoft is doing much in the way of updates any longer for that platform. But your question implies something that makes perfect sense, so I'll keep an eye on the automatic updating and see what's going on with it.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Tom in D.C. wrote:Bill,

Thanks for the reply. I'm set up for automatic updates from Microsoft, but I'm running XP Home and I honestly don't know if Microsoft is doing much in the way of updates any longer for that platform. But your question implies something that makes perfect sense, so I'll keep an eye on the automatic updating and see what's going on with it.

Regards,
MS committed to supplying critical updates and security patches for the XP line through April 2014.

That said, Dell would be the source of drivers. Visit http://support.dell.com and use your service tag off the box to pull the latest sound card drivers down. I would also update the BIOS if needed as well as the chipset drivers, if offered.

Another issue, though unlikely, might be heat. How long has it been since you pulled that box apart and gave it a little dust-air treatment?
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Terry,

Many thanks for the suggestions. I haven't manually re-run drivers on this machine ever, and it is getting pretty dusty inside by now.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
ethanehunt
New User

Post by ethanehunt »

Computer tech here.....I have many drivers on hand for all computer peripheral hardwares. Since I have my own personal computer and it is exactly the same as yours Audio wise. I do have the drivers for it and it works very well with Windows XP even after the Updates. If you wish for me to e-mail you the drivers for it, please let me know and I will send it to you in a Zip file. Windows XP can be able to unzip it after you double click on it.

Update: Or you can go here at the Dell Support site to download the driver support.dell.com/support/download…

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”