IPSC, GPS and roaming

Moderator: Queue Moderator

glink

IPSC, GPS and roaming

Post by glink »

Greetings to all. Firstly my compliments to all you who so kindly respond to question here. Appreciated.
I installed 2 DR3000 repeaters in a game park in North Africa, 60KMs apart, using Motorola Canopy microwave devices to link the two via IP. The client had some troubles, and we simulated the system back in our offices. I wanted to "force" subscriber radios to roam by either turning one repeater off at a time, or disconnecting one repeater antenna at a time. Repeater beacon interval is 60 seconds, with 4 second duration. Subscriber radios programmed accordingly. I discovered that any subscriber radios NOT equipped with GPS modules will search for the alternate repeater once the beacon was not received. GPS equipped radios on the other hand, will only start searching for the alternate repeater if they are moved enough distance for the GPS location data to change. If the radio remains stationary, it refuses to search for a new repeater, even if PTT is keyed. Move the radio about 30 metres or so and it immediately roams. Disable the GPS function, leave the radio in one plce, and it searches for a new repeater straight after the beacon interval has expired. Is this normal?
It doesn't really matter, as the subscriber radios will generally be on the move anyway, but I'm curious. Any input would be valued.
Stuart
SlimBob

Re: IPSC, GPS and roaming

Post by SlimBob »

Well, that sounds like a bug.
glink

Re: IPSC, GPS and roaming

Post by glink »

Hi SlimBob. I've figured it out. I made the classic mistake - performing tests in close proximity to the repeaters. The subscriber radios are being swamped, so they won't roam. As soon as I moved the test repeaters some distance away, and used dummy loads instead of antennas, everything worked fine.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”