XTS4000 programming cable?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

DavidJ

XTS4000 programming cable?

Post by DavidJ »

Does anyone have info on the XTS4000 programming cable? At least one Motorola dealer is selling the DTR radio programming cable (01-05950U15) as an XTS4K cable (which should be NKN1027) and it isn't the same. Plugging it in, the radio goes into transmit. After the TOT runs out, you can read the radio but this is hardly the right way to do things. Not surprisingly the manuals say you should buy the $251 one. The pinout of the CE connector is shown and I have a hunch that interrupting the mic and/or option select pins should do the trick, but does anyone have experience with this?
Last edited by DavidJ on Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr.syntrx

Re: XTS4000 programming cable?

Post by mr.syntrx »

I just work around it by putting the radio onto an RX only channel before hooking up the cable. For $30 instead of $251, I can live with having to do this.
HLA
What radios do you own?: HT1550's, X9000's, CDM1550's

Post by HLA »

just get and use the correct cable, i'm shure your radio is worth more than $251 especially if you have to replace it when the $30 cable damages it? Then after you replace it or get it fixed i'm shure you are not gonna hook that cable back up to the new one and have to buy the correct one anyway? I'm all for saving money or building my own cable but sometimes you have to just break down and spend it
HLA
I never check PM's so don't bother, just email me.
I won't reply to a hotmail, gmail, aol or any other generic free address, if you want me to reply use a real address.
STOP ASKING ME FOR SOFTWARE OR FIRMWARE, I JUST FORWARD ALL OF THE REQUESTS TO THE MODERATORS
DavidJ

Post by DavidJ »

I figured it out, it's a fairly simple fix, which should be on the programming cable pinout section of the site. You only want the data, CTS, RTS, power and ground leads connected (these are shown in the service manual) and not the mic, option or speaker connections. A couple of people told me that they just snip the pins off the connector, or some other kludge. The CE connector that plugs in to the bottom of the radio looks molded, but it isn't. With a knife or small screwdriver you can pop the two halves of the shell apart and find that the cable is soldered to a little pc board that brings out all the pins of the connectors. Remove the black, white and grey wires and the solder jumpers around pins 13-17, close up the shell, you're done.

The 01-05950u15 cable (which is actually $18 on MOL, not $30 as I had remembered) is the same Motorola cable, connector, interface board etc. as the $251 version, just wired differently as far as I can tell.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Buy the Nextel cable it actually works as intended...
DavidJ

Post by DavidJ »

escomm wrote:Buy the Nextel cable it actually works as intended...
Which Nextel cable? Which of the Nextel chargers and other stuff work with this? Apparently none of the batteries, is that right?
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Believe it's the Falcon cable. No chargers will work as far as I know. Programming only and it's RS232 FWIW
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

DavidJ wrote:
Which Nextel cable?
Falcon-series serial cable. Part # should be NKN6560. USB cables won't work.

edit: Jeff is right, it's the Falcon-series. Shows to be subbed with NNTN5406A and cancelled.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

The iDEN Falcon cable will work just fine, it does address some audio accessory port on the 4000 that is does not on the iDEN but it does not put the radio into TX like the DTR cable.

The iDEN cables were $35.00 list IIRC, much better than the BS price Moto wanted for the same thing under another P/N.

Jim
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

motorola_otaku wrote:
DavidJ wrote:
Which Nextel cable?
Falcon-series serial cable. Part # should be NKN6560. USB cables won't work.

edit: Jeff is right, it's the Falcon-series. Shows to be subbed with NNTN5406A and cancelled.
Ah, that's because Moto outsourced cell/IDEN distribution to Tessco. Search SKU 356274. $29.99 list. They do have a $50 minimum order.
Radio Crazy
What radios do you own?: All FPP

Post by Radio Crazy »

Forget all those nextel cables, there all grief, and USB cables do work if you have the one made for the radio!! Go for the real deal USB cable:
Item Number. NKN1029A USB PROGRAMMING CABLE only problem is cost $330 but you will never brick your xts4000.
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

For $330 I'll take that chance.

Hell, I could buy a top tier warranty from Square Trade, stomp on the bastard if I bricked it and get a new one for less than that price.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Yeah, pretty much. I wouldn't spend that much of someone else's money.
Radio Crazy
What radios do you own?: All FPP

Post by Radio Crazy »

mancow wrote:For $330 I'll take that chance.

Hell, I could buy a top tier warranty from Square Trade, stomp on the bastard if I bricked it and get a new one for less than that price.
I don't know if you can get another one for less than $330, but the square trade angle is preety good, I hope they just pay you and not search around to buy a replacement, because the big M is not selling then to an individual, unless of course you have a federal letter head and a purchase order.
firecomm
was Fire4117

Post by firecomm »

Falcon cable works just fine, you just have to unsolder or remove a few wires. Look at the service manual for what pins that shouldn't be connected and the falcon works perfectly.

Return to “Radio Programming”