DIU Quantar Question

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FMROB

DIU Quantar Question

Post by FMROB »

Shoot me in the head now.. Please

I have a quantar set up and running. The agency is using astro encrypted. They have a new avtec console. The console is co-located with the quantar repeater (within 10') and the quantar has a flashing v.24 light on it.
The agency also has a brand new a DIU3000 in the box with a small adapter box with 4 rj45's on the rear that appears to directly plug into the lower DB25 communications port. (sans manual, software or cable)

So I need to make this thing talk. Please someone guide me a bit here. Mind you this is a pure fishing expedition as I need to get a manual and have never worked with the DIU before.

I read in previous posts that I might be able to hook this up using a 8 conducter wire from V.24 port on the rear adapter box of the DIU to the mic port on the front of the station control module??

I would also love to know if there is a way to display astro ID's on the console?

Thanks, Rob
Batboard $upporter

Re: DIU Quantar Question

Post by 515 »

The Quantar will need an optional V.24 card if it doesn't have one already. This will put two RJ-45 jacks on the front of the Quantar.

That "Quad Connector" or whatever they call it with the 4 RJ-45 jacks that goes on the back of the DIU's COMM DB-25. A straight through cable can be connected between one of the Quad RJ-45 jacks (I forget which off the top of my head) and the Quantar's V.24 RJ-45, Port 1.

If you don't want to use that "Quad Connector", you can also make your own cable between the DIU's COMM DB-25 and the Quantar's V.24 port. This thread has the pinout:
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51913

The Astro IDs are sent out of the DIU to the console via the "Centracom Signalling Link," which is just async RS-232 but the protocol is proprietary, so you'd need a Motorola console that supports it. I think Zetron reverse engineered it for their IP console, and maybe some other manufacturers did too.
d119

Post by d119 »

515 wrote:The Quantar will need an optional V.24 card if it doesn't have one already. This will put two RJ-45 jacks on the front of the Quantar.

That "Quad Connector" or whatever they call it with the 4 RJ-45 jacks that goes on the back of the DIU's COMM DB-25. A straight through cable can be connected between one of the Quad RJ-45 jacks (I forget which off the top of my head) and the Quantar's V.24 RJ-45, Port 1.

If you don't want to use that "Quad Connector", you can also make your own cable between the DIU's COMM DB-25 and the Quantar's V.24 port. This thread has the pinout:
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51913

The Astro IDs are sent out of the DIU to the console via the "Centracom Signalling Link," which is just async RS-232 but the protocol is proprietary, so you'd need a Motorola console that supports it. I think Zetron reverse engineered it for their IP console, and maybe some other manufacturers did too.
515 is, as usual, exactly correct.

The Quad Interface Box should have connections labeled NULL, V.24, RNC and ACIM (if I recall correctly).

The connector on the back of the Quad Interface Box that goes to the Quantar for a local connection is the one labeled "NULL" if I recall correctly. This connects to the V.24 daughterboard that attaches to the wireline board in the Quantar giving you a digital audio connection to and from the DIU.

If you are running mixed mode, you also connect the 4-wire analog audio at the back of the Quantar to the DIU.

As for the ID display, 515 is also correct. The output of the DIU would normally be connected to an ACIM (Astro Control Interface Module) in a Centracom environment, providing ID display and control to the console. It can also be connected to a GGM 8000 for use with MCC 7500, and I believe there exists a way to wire it into MCC 5500. I'm not familiar with Avtec equipment in the slightest, so I couldn't tell you there.

I think the V.24 connector is meant to interface to the AT&T/Paradyne ComSphere 3810/3810+ modem for microwave/telco wireline links, and the RNC connector would connect to the RNC as part of an ASTRO IV&D system.

There you go, more than you ever wanted to know.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Thank you gents. Two questions.

1) Is the V.24 connectors on the front of the quantar separate from the speaker and mic jacks on the SCM?

2) Is there another way to interface into the quantar if it doesn't have a V.24 card.

Thanks, Rob
wa6ylb

Post by wa6ylb »

FMROB wrote:Thank you gents. Two questions.

1) Is the V.24 connectors on the front of the quantar separate from the speaker and mic jacks on the SCM?

2) Is there another way to interface into the quantar if it doesn't have a V.24 card.

Thanks, Rob
1. The wireline board needs to have a CLN1185A Daughter board added to it, if not already installed. This kit provides a plug in daughter board (mounts on top of the wireline board), with two RJ45 connections, a new " black" quantar SCM/WL front cover part, which covers the station control board and wireline board with two punched out RJ45 connectors that come from the daughter board and grounding clip to ground the wireline board to the daughter board.
Only line 1 jack (upper) is used on a 4 wire station card - the daughter board is the same that is used on a 8 wire wireline card, in the case of an Astro Tac 3000 chassis, where both RJ45 jacks can be used.
The V.24 LED will flash until the DIU starts bi-directionial communication with the Quantar station. Once connected, it changes to a solid green LED.

2. You will need the daughter board. There isn't anyway to get around this that I know of.

On the DIU with the DB25 to four port RJ45 connector block - there are four RJ45 ports - one for a standard V.24 connection, and one for a "reversed" or Null V.24 version connection. Depending on your cable you have in your hand, the connection to the DIU will only work on one of these two ports - its one or the other - only use 1 of these two choices. The other fellow posted mentioned the connection to a Radio Network Controller (RNC), and then the ACIM port. The console used at work is a MCC5500 and the ACIM connection is used to talk to the "DATA" punch block associated with the Astro channel in the console. As far as connections of ACIM to other than Motorola consoles, I don't know which other MFG consoles may handle this.

B.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Ok, great info, but you lostme here.

I will check to see if the CLN1185A is attached to the wireline board?

Where do the two RJ45's come out of, on the front panel?

Right now there is the telephone and handset jacks, is there supposed to be 4?

If the CLN1185A is installed/not installed will the V.24 light flash?

Thanks, Rob
wa6ylb

Post by wa6ylb »

FMROB wrote:Ok, great info, but you lostme here.

I will check to see if the CLN1185A is attached to the wireline board?

Where do the two RJ45's come out of, on the front panel?

Right now there is the telephone and handset jacks, is there supposed to be 4?

If the CLN1185A is installed/not installed will the V.24 light flash?

Thanks, Rob
The CLN1185 part number is a kit of three parts , used to add V.24 to a wireline board - a daughter board (to be installed piggyback on a Wireline board), a new black painted SCM/WL cover front panel piece with two new RJ45 holes for the two RJ45 jacks on the daughter board that protrude forward like the mic and speaker jacks do on the SCM card, and a grounding clip that grounds the daughter board to the wireline board. If the station was ordered with the V.24 board installed, option X889 (ASTRO W/L INTFC V.24), this daughter board, and new black panel and gounding clip would already be installed. However, if Mixed mode or Astro mode is turned on in the station programming, reguardless if a daughter board is or isn't installed, or if it is installed and a valid connection isn't connected, the green LED for V.24 will still blink when the radio is pulled from the box.
The two RJ45's come out the front of the radio, to the right of the Mic and speaker jacks. This daughter board adds two jacks, which only one of them (upper one) carries the V.24 data on a Quantar station. If the daughter board exists, there will be two RJ45 jacks to the right of the Mic and speaker jacks.
A station without the V.24 board will only have Mic and Speaker jacks are on the Station Control Module (SCM). The Wireline board, to the right of the station control card, (without a daughter board) normally doesn't have any jacks that protrude through the black panel over these two cards. When the daughter board is added, this will add these two V.24 ports, through a new front metal (painted black) panel.

I suppose you could say there are "Four" jacks on front of a station with the daughter board installed.

The V.24 LED blinks when you tell the station to use Astro CAI or Astro CAI in mixed mode, which causes the station to look for a DIU3000 connection (via a V.24 board) . It will blink even if the daughter board is or isn't present. It only goes steady , when the V.24 daughter is installed and there is a valid data stream to a DIU3000 from the station.

B.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Spot on bro, Thanks. Looks like we are going to order that kit.

Thanks, Rob
Lotus54
New User
What radios do you own?: XTL5000, XTS5000, Quanar, A-ta

Post by Lotus54 »

We have a bunch of Quantats, DIUs and an Avtec console.

All of our Quantatrs have Atro Models, not v.24. Once you get the DIU taking with the Quantat, set up the DIU for 4-wire tone remote.
Set up the outpost also 4-wire remote.
Set your TRC (Tone Remote Control) to select the channels you need on the Quantar, then set your Outpost and Endpoint the same (or is this a single radio channel?).

It is easy.

BUT, you will not get the P25 info back. as mentioned, Zetron reverse engineered the interface, Avtec has not (and sounds like they won't - only would do it by paying Motorola, and enough people that want it).
The DIY doesn't have the CSSI interface, just it's proprietary one.

I'll be happy to help if you need.

So first you need to make sure you have either V.24 between the Quantar and DIU (proper cards in each) or Astro Modle cards in each.

I assume you are doing digital P25?

If you are doing analog only, you done need the DIU, just a line card in the Quanter.

Mark

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”