2012 F350 question

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

gtriever

2012 F350 question

Post by gtriever »

Has anybody done an install on a 2012 F350 crew cab? Specifically, what I'm looking for is the location of and spacing between the roof ribs for multiple antenna placement, without having to drop the headliner myself.
tvsjr

Re: 2012 F350 question

Post by tvsjr »

You don't have to drop the headliner completely, but trying to drill multiple holes by measurements (from what point are you going to measure... there's nothing "square" up there) is asking for a disaster.
gtriever

Post by gtriever »

I hate to disagree (especially when asking for info), but we've done it time and time again, with Dodge Rams, Chevy Tahoes, and Ford Crown Vics, Explorers and Expeditions. Once we have a template our "final" measurements are always taken from the centerline of the roof, starting at the top of the windshield trim. Also, for clarification this isn't a one-off, this is for multiple installs.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

If you are building your own template for a mass install, I would agree (and would recommend making a physical template that can be placed on the roof). However, translating those measurements into numbers in an Internet forum, and then trying to use them has the potential for disaster. Plus, there are lots of possible variations that could affect what you're doing... sunroof, clearance lights, etc.

I have built my own templates before, but for vehicle #1 I would *always* drop the headliner. It doesn't take that long, especially with good tools (pneumatics FTW). And it minimizes the likelihood of a multi-kilobuck oops...

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”