UHF band 1 Spectra mod to the UHF ham band

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Jim202

UHF band 1 Spectra mod to the UHF ham band

Post by Jim202 »

I know this topic has come up a number of times, but I remember someone had managed to move UHF band 1 spectra to operate in the 440 ham band.

Comments on this site, indicate the down side of trying to get the RX front end board to make it into the ham segment. They all say it won't make it to the frequency segment that is needed.

Other comments point to the PA output filter also not making it to the needed frequency segment.

Lastly, I still have not found any firm threads that indicate the ability to move the VCO so that it will work on the UHF ham segment.

Has anyone out there any new input on this topic of moving a UHF band 1 Spectra into the 440 ham band?

Jim
Jim202

Re: UHF band 1 Spectra mod to the UHF ham band

Post by Jim202 »

Jim202 wrote:I know this topic has come up a number of times, but I remember someone had managed to move UHF band 1 spectra to operate in the 440 ham band.

Comments on this site, indicate the down side of trying to get the RX front end board to make it into the ham segment. They all say it won't make it to the frequency segment that is needed.

Other comments point to the PA output filter also not making it to the needed frequency segment.

Lastly, I still have not found any firm threads that indicate the ability to move the VCO so that it will work on the UHF ham segment.

Has anyone out there any new input on this topic of moving a UHF band 1 Spectra into the 440 ham band?

Jim

Have obtained the file with the information that I lost from a hard drive crash. Trying to obtain the original author's permission to get it posted to one or more of the technical chat group file sections.

The information involves cutting some of the VCO stipline, working over the RX filter by cutting some off of each of the 5 sections of the filter. It goes on to say the TX output filter probably doesn't need much done to it. Will let everyone know how it all works out.

Jim

Jim
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

Anyone have a manual on the UHF Spectra range 1 radio? There are plenty of manuals around for the range 3 & 4, but no one has come forward with any info on the range 1.

Area of interest is the RF board and the VCO board.

I know these are in the government segment, so the number of manuals available will be limited.

Jim
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Why not use them between 420-435MHz, where they were designed from the factory to operate?

Not every Motorola Radio was *designed* to work in a nearby ham band, but many of them do. The R1 UHF Spectra is one of them, the RI MCX100 is another....
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

SlimBob wrote:Why not use them between 420-435MHz, where they were designed from the factory to operate?

Not every Motorola Radio was *designed* to work in a nearby ham band, but many of them do. The R1 UHF Spectra is one of them, the RI MCX100 is another....

Because there are a ton of these radios collecting dust. The original UHF range 1 is not of much use today with an analog radio. It's a challenge to take and make a radio do something the original design didn't allow for.

Jim
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Jim: I thought the Astro Spectra detailed service manual had all the ranges in it. At least the VCO, RXFE, and PA would be the same as a regular Spectra.

Bob M.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

kcbooboo wrote:Jim: I thought the Astro Spectra detailed service manual had all the ranges in it. At least the VCO, RXFE, and PA would be the same as a regular Spectra.

Bob M.

Thanks for the feedback. i did go into the manuals and found the range one and range 2 VCO information. Now to figure out just what it will take to see if the range 1 can be made to work in the 440 ham band.

Jim
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Hi Jim

Did you have any luck with this?

Cheers,
Matt

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”