Custom Consoles - Check it out!

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Custom Consoles - Check it out!

Post by apco25 »

Check out this custom console we built for a 91 Chevy Ambulance chassis which as converted to a mobile communications center. This is just the driver compartment - will post the rear radio console later when its done.

Truck has 24 antennas and can communicate on anything from HF through 900 Mhz, commerical, public safety, ham and MIL. Truck will include its own telephone switch and mobile repeaters.

The console is custome made from furniture grade plywood, color matched carpet and custome made stainless steel face plate. Notice no visible welds! We owe big thanks to custom design shop who made the faceplate out of one piece!

Holds 800 and VHF A9 Spectra
VHF/UHF Yaseu ham rig
Federal Signal PA300 Siren (lights run through the ambulance package)
Airhorn actuators
Hour Meter
10x12 storage pocket (just visible in pics)

Speakers and converta-com are mounted on the back wall between the seats.

http://my.voyager.net/~k9amt/radioinstall006.jpg
http://my.voyager.net/~k9amt/radioinstall007.jpg
http://my.voyager.net/~k9amt/radioinstall008.jpg

ENJOY!
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

Nice looking setup! You do owe a big one to that metal shop, looks like they did a great job on it! The converta com seems to be in an uncomfortable spot, but it doesn't look like you had a choice. Again, good job!
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

A Horton Ambulance?! I beleive you wrote it's 91......have you had any fires in it yet? I had a friend who's squad bought 2 94 Hortons.....both of them within 3 monthes of each other had fires. I have heard of several other similar complaints. All with the on board "computer". But then again at least they aren't Road Rescue. :P Actually the project sounds like quite the undertaking...I am interested to see the final layout.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

NICE! That metal console looks great and I would imagine it is rather bullet proof. Does that master turn off the whole rig or just the console gear?

I can't wait to see the back!
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

I just hope that the sun doesn't hit it at the right angle and blinds the driver... Other than that, looks sharp!
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
gws
Batboard $upporter

Post by gws »

Do you have any photos of the construction? mounting and power routing?

Iwould love to see the backside.
apco25

Post by apco25 »

yeah that stainless is mighty shiny. You should see the brackets the shop custom made and welded to the back side of the console. Talk about neat. I do construction pics, just not with me right now. I'll dig them up and post them.

We haven't had any fires that I am aware of. Horton's wiring is kinda wacky especially since we took a lot out of the rig. O2, suction and half of the original interior body work in the box area are completely gone. I'll post interior pics at some point.

Our city had a whole fleet of these as rescue units over the last ten years. I think the newest are 94's with 2 still in daily service plus a spare rig. All the other rescues have been upgraded to International heavy duty chassis with horton boxes which are VERY nice.

The Master key panel was a horton item that is reinstalled in the new console and yes it cuts out the whole rig. Only thing I have left to do is wire up the Tap 2 fuction to the horn ring circuit. For some reason this rig never had it.
apco25

Post by apco25 »

The Converta-com was left over from its rescue days. I just remounted it. I'm not too worried about getting to its since its really just a mobile charger for a VHF portable although it is fully functional. At some point it will be replaced with an HT1000 MTVA. What you don't see behind the seats are the 2 spectras and the VRM module.
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

Nice - but I have one question, wiseass that I am....

When you say color-matched carpeting, are you referring to a match with some other vehicle in the fleet? Unless I'm more tired than I thought, we're talking WAY off here! :D :lol:
apco25

Post by apco25 »

It matches the floor carpet, not the seats! Besides i noticed the flash on the camera give different shades to the material that to the naked eye looks damn close.
apco25

Post by apco25 »

That and someone didn't remember to clean that cab this month. All the dust! Time to go rip on the guys!
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

well it is nice just see an Chevy ambulance.

Has any body seen the chevy heavy duty chassis
elkbow

Post by elkbow »

Looks great. Only one thing I would change that I don't see in the pics....You're running the mic cables through the side of the console, I would drill the holes larger and put rubber grommets in the holes as not to rub the steel against the mic cable. Looks good.
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

Hmm. The drivers side window looks like a piece of plastic. Hmm.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
vcaruso
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by vcaruso »

That plastic looks to be beyond the mirror.
apco25

Post by apco25 »

The plastic you see is a golf cart ambulance package with a rain shield on it. We use it for special events, fairs, carnivals etc. its NOT the window on the rig!

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”