HKN6184C USB XTL 5000 Round Plug cable problems

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mototech2012
New User

HKN6184C USB XTL 5000 Round Plug cable problems

Post by mototech2012 »

Just received the HKN6184C USB programming cable for the XTL 5000 round connector and when I try to connect it to the Computer, It gives me a no driver found. There is no software that comes with the cable. The CPU is Win 7. Tried it on a Toughbook laptop Win 7 and it want even recognize it. What can I do to use this cable? I called tech support and they said they had no idea. This is crazy. As much as it cost to buy a simple cable and it wont load. Thank in advance to anyone that knows what I can do to get this cable to work. I really need it to work soon in order to start programming lots of radios.
Jim202

Re: HKN6184C USB XTL 5000 Round Plug cable problems

Post by Jim202 »

mototech2012 wrote:Just received the HKN6184C USB programming cable for the XTL 5000 round connector and when I try to connect it to the Computer, It gives me a no driver found. There is no software that comes with the cable. The CPU is Win 7. Tried it on a Toughbook laptop Win 7 and it want even recognize it. What can I do to use this cable? I called tech support and they said they had no idea. This is crazy. As much as it cost to buy a simple cable and it wont load. Thank in advance to anyone that knows what I can do to get this cable to work. I really need it to work soon in order to start programming lots of radios.

Have you tried to start the radio programming software first and then connect the cable to the radio and then to the computer. The driver should load from the Motorola software all by it's lonesome self. Make sure you check the software will use the USB for the com port connection.

Jim
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

There is no driver for the cable. The driver is for the radio. Seems OP needs to spend some time with the help file.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

What version CPS do you have loaded on the computers? Are they 32 or 64 bit Windows 7? I'm not sure which CPS version started supporting 64 bit USB drivers, but it's fairly recent. As others have stated, the drivers get installed as part of the CPS package, and the drivers are for the radios themselves, not the cable.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
mototech2012
New User

Post by mototech2012 »

I have tried all the above. Win 7 64 bit. Running CPS ver 17.00.00
I did however get the radio to read one time by plugging in the cable to the radio and turning the radio off and then back on. Attempted to write and upon write. Errors come up on the screen and the cable has not read a radio again and the computer will not even recognize the cable being pluged in. I have tried everything even the help file. That is why I am on here asking you guys. I googled it and it appears it is happening alot on this cable about the no driver found. Now tech support wants me to do a return. But I still have to program radios.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Well which is it..."no driver found", or "not recognizing the cable being plugged in"? These are two separate issues. This is the sequence of events as I understand it:

1) You tried with a particular computer, it recognized that you plugged something in, but then wouldn't load the drivers properly.

2) You tried it on a toughbook, and it did not recognize that anything was even plugged in.

3) You have since tried again, but it's not clear what computer you are referring to. I'll assume it's the first one since the toughbook didn't recognize anything. So, the first computer at some point loaded the drivers properly, because you were able to read the radio, but then received errors upon trying to write.

Based on the information given, it's tough to pinpoint anything. It seems like a flaky cable, but it would be great if you could try it on a known good computer/radio setup. The same cable is used for MotoTRBO radios, so if you know anyone that's programming them, you could give it a try with their setup.

To top things off, 17.00.00 was known to be unstable, many people opted not to even use it, and 17.01.02 is now available for download on MOL.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

I have the same exact problem with my HKN6184 round cable. My PC doesn't recognize it when I plug it in. But I can program the XTL radios with the square cable that plugs into the rear accessory jack just fine. Using the latest version CPS on an XP PC.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

It's not going to make a sound until it's plugged into the radio, it's the radio that's the device not the cable. What kind of control head is on your radio and where are you trying to read it from?
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

Its an XTL1500. It must be the radio because a 2nd one I have reads and writes fine. Thanks for the info.

Return to “Radio Programming”