MTS2000 - Remove Trunking help

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

HankRock
New User
What radios do you own?: More than I should!

MTS2000 - Remove Trunking help

Post by HankRock »

OK, I've been working on this issue for a long time, have read board after board looking for answers and still can not figure this out.

I am trying to REMOVE trunking info from MTS2000 radios. Various ages, models and codeplugs. I use CPS V.R02.03.00

Sometimes I have no problems deleting the trunked info and just having conventional only. But every so often I have a radio that just stumps me. I have no system key so I can't edit the trunking on those radios. I tried creating a syskey using the hex editor and instructions found here, but no luck. I can not find a syskey anywhere to use to erase the trunking.

Any help would be great!
motorola_otaku

Re: MTS2000 - Remove Trunking help

Post by motorola_otaku »

Creating default personalities and systems with the default 0001 SID, then deleting the old personalities and systems doesn't work?

I want to say I ran into that issue with MCS2000 CPS, which required you to have at least one system key loaded before you could delete anything. IIRC the "Batlabs method" for coding one from scratch doesn't work with current CPS versions either. Luckily I had one hanging around from an old defunct SMR system.
HankRock
New User

Post by HankRock »

Nope, it won't let me create a new personality because I don't have a system key. And I can't use any of the signaling stuff on the conventional channels while there is a trunked system on there.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

HankRock wrote:And I can't use any of the signaling stuff on the conventional channels while there is a trunked system on there.
As a general rule, if a MTS2000 (or MCS2000) is flashed for Smartnet or Smartzone trunking (000004-000000-x or 000008-000000-x, respectively) it won't have any MDC1200 capability. The actual trunking programming itself doesn't come into it. You need a radio that's flashed for conventional only (000001-000000-x) or trunking and "Stat-Alert."
HankRock
New User

Post by HankRock »

Any idea or suggestion on how to flash it back to conventional only?
HankRock
New User

Post by HankRock »

On further research, it seems that I need the flash cable and complete upgrade package! Guess I've got some work to do! All this for something I volunteered to do for a CERT program! LOL
Will

Post by Will »

CERT is a good program.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Well, now I'm curious why MDC1200 is a requirement for CERT use...

There are plenty of lab tools and codeplugs floating around out there that negate the need for a legit flash (which you can't buy anymore anyway), but with the MTS2000 model specifically you run into toolproofing. Search the board for "MTS toolproof" or read here: http://batlabs.com/mtsx.html
Supposedly there is a method for circumventing toolproofing but I've never seen it published.
HankRock
New User

Post by HankRock »

motorola_otaku wrote:Well, now I'm curious why MDC1200 is a requirement for CERT use....
Well, let me help with the curiosity... it's not a requirement, but a request they had. They want to assign each radio an identifier so they can tell who is keying up. It is used in conjunction with ICS "Incident Command System" directives and record keeping. The communication officer keeps a log of radio traffic during a disaster or any activation.

As for lab tools... I want to avoid this. For a few reasons, but mainly because I would hate to brick one of their radios! CERT is all volunteer and is funded through private donations. This program worked very hard to buy these radios and I would feel like a louse if I killed one!

I have read up on toolproofing and was hoping to find a safe way to remove the trunking and return the radios to conventional only.
Andreas
What radios do you own?: radios

Post by Andreas »

Toolproofing could only be an issue,if you don´t save the native codeplug of each radio,before you modify something!
Use the read/write with no pack/unpack and read it.Go to "archive/srecords disk files" Type the serialnumber and save it with "write archive".
Now you can play with the labtool.If you get a toolproof error,write the native codeplug back and all is good as before.

Andreas
HankRock
New User

Post by HankRock »

Will any rib box work when flashing the radio? Or is there a special one for doing the flashport upgrades?
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

You require the SmartRIB for FLASHport upgrades, regular RIB is just for programming. You're in a bit of a conundrum...you can't add features to an MTS2000 with LAB due to the toolproofing, but you also can't purchase 'legit' upgrades for them anymore either.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
HankRock
New User

Post by HankRock »

tell me about it! Although Andreas is right, if I was careful to archive the codeplug, I should be pretty safe, but that would require me to actually HAVE the lab software!
SPVFD47
What radios do you own?: HT1550, HT1250, MT2000, HT1000

Post by SPVFD47 »

I know this is old but I'm wondering if the original poster found a way to do this. I have bunch of good MTS2000's that were used for trunking but the system is no longer in use, but these portables still can serve a purpose for the conventional repeaters in the area. Only issue, is no MDC which is required...
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

If you don´t need MDC,you can flash them into MT2100 and you have 250 conventional channels!
No toolproof and you don´t need a SMARTRIB.The 2100 series RSS supports MB,VHF and UHF (<520MHz) only!

Andreas
SPVFD47

Post by SPVFD47 »

There's no trunking systems left that we have access to that will support the MTS2000, the baud rate is too slow for all of the systems arounnd, hence why we'd like to use them for conventional only. Whats the process to flash them to a MT2100 ? There's S Band models. These currently use the MTX CPS to program. Does the MT2100 use the same RSS as the MT2000 ?
Andreas

Post by Andreas »

S Band is not supported by the 2100 series rss!The 2100 series rss is different from the MTS2000 rss.It´s the european version.
The 2100 series RSS supports MC and MT2100 in one rss.
For flashing,you need a modified RIB or my Unirib(you can find a schematic on my homepage) and the 2100 series (lab) upgradetool.
http://agh-technik.orgfree.com/motofunk.html

Andreas
SPVFD47

Post by SPVFD47 »

By S Band I mean, 450-512.
Andreas wrote:The 2100 series RSS supports MB,VHF and UHF (<520MHz) only!
Andreas
I also noticed, you wrote in your first post, if you don't need MDC. I have the conventional channels now, but I do need MDC, and also narrowband.

Thanks, I guess I have to wait and see if the OP found a solution, or if someone out there has a flash laying around for it.

Return to “Radio Programming”