Ignition security bypass 2001 Silverado?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N2ZPY

Ignition security bypass 2001 Silverado?

Post by N2ZPY »

My wife has a 2001 Chevy Silverado pickup with a 5 speed. The other night I tried to show her how to pop start it if she had a dead battery. With the key in the run position I rolled and let out the clutch. I got it to run for about 2 seconds and then the PASSlock II kicked in and killed the fuel pump. Any ideas on a bypass for this situation?

Thanks
2wayguy
Batboard $upporter

Passlock2

Post by 2wayguy »

They make bypass modules that will take care of this, they are commonly used when doing remote starters. You could also just figure out the resistance with an ohm meter and use a relay and some resistors to duplicate it as well..
cranbiz
Batboard $upporter

Post by cranbiz »

Best Buy has the bypass modules for GM. They are about 50.00 and made by Directed Electronics.
2wayguy
Batboard $upporter

Passlock2 Bypass

Post by 2wayguy »

WOW, that is high. PM me or email me if interested in one of those modules. They are not that expensive. Like I said if you can work an OHM meter, you just need some resistors and a relay. Can be done for $5-6 dollars
copcarguy

cheap way

Post by copcarguy »

All that ign bypass for 50.00 is a set of contacts that you place your spare ign key into (that also costs 50.00) (now your at 100.00), that clamshells the key that you hide under the dash that triggers the security to say "ok to start". I agree with above, take an ohm meter across the two points on the ign key, take a reading and go to radio shack and get the proper resistor (.89). One thing that doesnt make sense to me is that if you and your wife had the key in the ign, and the ign was on at the time of the push start, the security is already in the ok mode and the vehicle should have started (pass system). Did you hit the vehicle so hard to trigger the inercia fuel cut off switch?? There is no fix for that... :wink:
N2ZPY

Post by N2ZPY »

The PASSlock I has the resistor in the key. On the PASSlock II the resistor is built into the ignition. Even with the key in the run position like a normal roll start it doesn't see that as a normal start and kills the fuel pump. Why can't vehicles just be simple any more ???

Kevin
jim

Post by jim »

The resistor chip in the key went away ten years ago.
^The Passkey II has two versions:

version 1) The BCM looks for a resistance to be present during crank.

version 2) The BCM looks for 2 resistances. The first one is sought when the lock cylinder is rotated to crank. The second one is sought when the cylinder is moved from crank back to run.

You need to determine what you have first. This is done by reading eithe voltage or resistance on the three-wire gang coming from the lock cylinder's Hall effect switch.

Another system that GM is going to (Ford and Chrysler already use it) uses a RF key/lock cylinder transducer. It's more secure for theft purposes, but it's easier to defeat with the proper procedure.
Flametamer

Found something that [i]might[/i] help

Post by Flametamer »

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”